Problem with pattern

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=magenta][FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Arial][COLOR=magenta]I have a problem with the pattern of this dishcloth. On row 2 where it says “sl 1”, is it supposed to be slip knit-wise or purl-wise (and is it the same for psso)? Also, how come I end up getting more than 42 stitches after I finish row 2? Isn’t it supposed to be 42 stitches for every row?[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=magenta][/COLOR][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Baby Fern Stitch Dishcloth[/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Designer :[/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]Vaunda Rae Giberson[/COLOR] Be sure and visit her web site.[/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Materials: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]1 ball Cotton yarn, Size 4mm or 4.5mm needles, (US 6 or 7).[/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rating: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Medium[/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Directions:[/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Multiple of 12 stitches + 6[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Cast on 42 sts[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Knit 4 rows for border.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Rows 1 and alt rows (WS):[/B] K3, Purl across to last 3 sts. K3.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Row 2:[/B] K3, * K2tog, k2, yo, k1, yo, k2, sl 1, k1, psso, p1, k1, p1, Rep from * across to last 3 sts. k3.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Row 4:[/B] K3, * K2tog, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1, sl 1, k1, psso, p1, k1, p1, Rep from * across to last 3 sts. k3.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B]Row 6:[/B] K3, * k2tog, yo, k5, yo, sl 1, k1, psso, p1, k1, p1, Rep from * across to last 3 sts. k3.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rep these six rows until desired length.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Knit 4 rows.[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bind off, Weave in ends.[/FONT]

i usually slip it knitwise for this decrease. And as for the count, as far as I can tell, unless my math is bad, is should be 42 on each row, as there are the same amount of decreases as increases in each row. How many stitches extra do you come up with at the end of the row?

I tried slipping it knitwise, and for both times I tried I ended up getting 43 stitches for the next row

are you passing the slipped stitch back over the next stitch you knit?

No…do I have to do that?

yes that is what psso means… pass slipped stitch over… You should have the correct count after you have done this. So you slip 1 knitwise, knit one, then pass the slipped stitch over the knit stitch. It’s a decrease to make up for one of the yo’s.

Oh I did do it for “psso” but not “sl”…I don’t know what I’m doing wrong :frowning:

hmmm… not sure.

[B]Row 2:[/B] K3, * K2tog, k2, yo, k1, yo, k2, [B][I]sl 1, k1, psso[/I][/B], p1, k1, p1, Rep from * across to last 3 sts. k3.

The bit I’ve bolded is all part of one move, and you should end up with 1 stitch after completing the 3 steps above. Have you checked out Amy’s video [B][COLOR=purple]here[/COLOR][/B]to see if you are doing it right. It’s called [B]SKP[/B] so have a look at the video for that. But if you weren’t passing each one over, you would end up with more than one extra stitch, as your repeating that a few times in the row.

I’m befuddled :shrug:

Ohh so the part in bold is one? I thought only “psso” is “slip, knit, pass”, so what I did (on the bold part) was slip, knit, slip, knit, pass

So what I have to do is cut out the first “slip, knit” right?

exactly!

Thank you so much :muah:

your welcome… glad we got it figured, let us know if you encounter any more problems :thumbsup:

Hi,

I am a new user, and a new knitter. I am knitting a jacket at the moment and I am on the Shawl colar (Yippie… Last Part) I cannot figure out what the pattern means. Its says I am suppose to Turn can anyone tell me what this mean and how/ Why exacly I am supposed to do it.

Thanks

Dee

You are creating short rows, you’ll notice on your shawl collar that the part around your neck is much wider than the parts that meet the front of your cardy/sweater. This is achieved by short rowing. All it means is exactly that. Once you get to the designated spot (ie. 20 sts from end, whatever the pattern has advised) you simply turn your work as if you had completed the whole row of stitches, and start working back in the other direction. This will add extra rows in the middle of your collar. You will eventually work to the ends of the needles again, once you have completed the shaping.

Amy has a video of short rows [B][COLOR=purple]here[/COLOR][/B], but I believe hers includes ‘wrapping’ (scroll down to short row with wrap). If your shawl collar is worked in garter, you don’t necessarily have to do the wrapping part, but if your doing stockinette, or if your pattern calls for wrapping, you’ll have to include the wraps to prevent any holes forming at the turn points. Amy also ‘picks up’ her wraps, which you don’t have to do, even if you wrap your stitches, but it will leave a little bar where you have turned if you don’t pick them up. You can have a look at how each option turns out and decide which you prefer - non wrap, wrapped or picked up wraps.

Hope I haven’t given you too much info and confused you.

Edited: I just noticed your name is Dee! Hi Dee!! :waving:

Hi, I have another question…Why do some people slip the first stitch of every row?

It’s a way of making something like a chain stitch edge and/or to prevent a loose stitch at the end of the row. I’ve tried it, but the stitches turn out soooo loose it looks worse, and I don’t have much problem with the end of the row stitch being loose.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]I have another question for the round dishcloth that I’m making, the questions are in pink[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#400040]Round Dishcloth[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]designed by Amy Carpenter[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040][B]Rating: [/B]Easy - Medium[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Materials:[/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS] 1 ball of cotton yarn, Size 4.5 MM knitting needles.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Instructions:[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]Cast on (either with long-tail or invisible cast on ) 21 stitches. Knit all odd rows.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 2: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Knit 4, yo, knit 16. Transfer last stitch to right needle by slipping as if to purl[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=fuchsia][FONT=Comic Sans MS](with yarn in front or back?)[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]. Turn work and wrap yarn around end of stitch [/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=fuchsia][FONT=Comic Sans MS](what does this mean?)[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]; slip [/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=fuchsia][FONT=Comic Sans MS](knitwise or purlwise?) [/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]the stitch back to the right needle and continue with row 3. [/COLOR][/FONT]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 4: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Knit 4, yo, knit 16. There are now two stitches left on left-hand needle. Slip the next stitch to be worked. Turn your work, wrapping the yarn around the end of the slipped stitch, and slip the stitch back to the right needle.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 6: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Knit 4, yo, knit 16. There are now three stitches left on left-hand needle. Slip the next stitch to be worked. Turn your work, wrapping the yarn around the end of the slipped stitch, and slip the stitch back to the right needle. [/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 8: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Knit 4, yo, knit 16. There are now four stitches left on left-hand needle. Slip the next stitch to be worked. Turn your work, wrapping the yarn around the end of the slipped stitch, and slip the stitch back to the right needle.[/FONT][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 10: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bind off 4 stitches [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=fuchsia][FONT=Comic Sans MS](how do I count stitches for bind offs?)[/FONT][/COLOR][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#400040]. Knit down until there are five stitches left on left-hand needle. Slip the next stitch to be worked. Turn your work, wrapping the yarn around the end of the slipped stitch, and slip the stitch back to the right needle.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black]…[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR=#400040][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Row 30: [/FONT][/B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Bind off 4 stitches. Knit to end. When you reach the wrapped stitches, slip the stitch, pick up the wrap [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=fuchsia][FONT=Comic Sans MS](what is ‘pick up’ supposed to mean?) [/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#400040][FONT=Comic Sans MS]and slip the stitch back to left-hand needle. Knit stitch and wrap together. [/FONT][/COLOR]