Problem with a pattern - errata or misunderstanding?

Hello!

I’m new to the forum; thanks for considering my question! I’ll try to make it as clear as possible.

I am writing because I’m pulling my hair out over a small set of instructions in a knitting project I’m at the very end of. I have revisited this bit day after day for the last week and still cannot understand it (and I cannot find errata online, or any specific help that would elucidate the instructions).

The instructions are seemingly to decrease from 21 stitches to 15 stitches; however, I cannot tell at any point where the 6 stitches are individually dropped or decreased or bound off. Also, there are double asterisk twice in the instructions, which seem to be in odd places. With that said, I am wondering if any of you have experienced something similar to this set of instructions before, and if so, might you be able to shine a little light on my misunderstanding? Below is the portion that’s troubling me.

Over a set of 21 stitches:

K3, slip 1 knitwise twice, *lift 2nd st on left-hand needle over first st and slip this st purlwise, lift 2nd slip st on right-hand needle over purlwise slip st and return st to left-hand needle **; repeat from * once **, k2, kfb twice, k3; slip 1 knitwise twice, repeat from * to ** twice, k3. 15 sts.

Those are the instructions verbatim. I checked them twice to make sure I copied them correctly.

As you can see, there seems to be a 6 stitch decrease (even with a 2 stitch increase (kfb twice)). But I cannot figure out where the stitches are being dropped.

I’m not an expert knitter, but I have fair bit of experience; however, I’ve never seen directions like these before.

The project is in a book I have (100 Flowers to Knit & Crochet, Lesley Stanfield), but I also found the exact pattern online; the instructions are worded slightly different, but they are still the same, and the difference in wording didn’t help me. Since I’ve never posted in the forum below, the system won’t let me add a URL, but the pattern is on the Lionbrand website under the following topics: Stitchfinder: Knit Flower: Morning Glory. The problem row is in the Leaf section, row 21.

Perhaps after another post it will allow me to add a URL.

Thank you very much for any insight!
Jessica

Edit:
Here is the URL to the referenced pattern:
http://cache.lionbrand.com/faq/499.html?www=1&lbc&language=En

I have to make one more post before I can add a URL, sorry for the extra post to make the count.

Here is the URL to the referenced pattern:
http://cache.lionbrand.com/faq/499.html?www=1&lbc&language=En

Every time you lift a st over another st you’re to drop it off the needle.
K3, slip 1 knitwise twice, *lift 2nd st on left-hand needle over first st [B](1 decrease)[/B] and slip this st purlwise, lift 2nd slip st on right-hand needle over purlwise slip st [B](1 decrease)[/B] and return st to left-hand needle **; repeat from * [B]once[/B] **, k2, kfb twice, k3; slip 1 knitwise twice, repeat from * to ** [B]twice[/B], k3. 15 sts.

From * to ** is a decrease of 2sts. You do the section * to ** and then repeat the section * to ** 3 more times for a total of 8 sts decreased. Each kfb increases one st and you do the kfb twice so you end the row with a net decrease of 6 sts. Take the directions one step at a time, moving the st back and forth between the left and right needles and see if you can get it to work now.

That absolutely did it! Thank you so much for that perfectly clear answer (and for reading my long question). How amazing it is to just call out into space for help and some wonderful soul answers!

I have made notes in my book so I won’t be confused again. Is this a standard way for a decrease to be written; should expect to see it again in the future?

Thank you again!
Jessica

No this isn’t standard notation.