Problem on picking up stitches in Herringbone on Herringbone Afghan

Hi!

I can generally work out directions in a pattern, but this one has me stumped. I hope someone here can help. I’m having trouble with the part in bold.

The directions state: "Cast off all sts in pattern […} until 1 st is left. Do Not Fasten off and Do Not turn work.

“Keeping rem st on needle, picking up 1 st into one side, then 2nd st into opposite side of each slipped st, pick up and k 19 sts across long top edge of Block just made…”

Thanks!

What is the name of your pattern? Can you give us a link to it or to a photo?

Hi,

It’s the Herringbone on Herringbone Afghan Pattern, from Mary Maxim. I’ve attached a picture of the front cover and the section of instruction relating to the Block strips. My problem is with the instructions at the beginning of Blocks 2, 4, 6, 8.

I just tried this on the needles. The pattern wants you to pick up into the slip stitch edge. Pick up as if to knit from under the edge of the slip stitch V nearest you and then pick up as if to knit into the back edge of the slip stitch V, edge farther from you. Picking up this second stitch isn’t always easy as it is sometimes hard to see the back edge of the V.

Okay, so basically 2 stitches in each slipped stitch. Since I have to pick up 19, I’m thinking the first slip stitch I should just pick up one? Thank you so much for your help, I’m making this for my aunt and I really want it as close to perfect as I can manage, but it’s slightly more advanced than I’m used to making.

Yes, that’s right, 2 per slipped stitch and yes, you could pick up one in the first slipped stitch. It’s a very pretty afghan and will make a lovely gift.