Problem decreasing - is it the pattern or me?

I’m making a wrap cardigan for my mum for her birthday from ‘Debbie Bliss Alpaca Silk 2’ but i’m having real trouble with it.

The problem comes when decreasing just before shaping the shoulder. It says to decrease 1 stitch at front edge every 4 rows until only 23 remain and then knit straight until work measures 56cm/22in. The problem is that the work is already measuring 56cm and I’ve still got to lose another 8 stitches. I’ve double checked my gauge and it is correct.

The only place I can think of that I have gone wrong is right at the beginning. It says to decrease 1 stitch every four rows and to work 17 rows. You then knit 31 rows increasing 1 stitch every 6 rows. The next instruction is to continue to decrease 1 stitch every 4 rows. I didn’t decrease at all in the 31 rows where you increase because it didn’t say to in that instruction - should I have? This is exactly how it’s written in the pattern to make it clearer.

“Keeping side edge straight, cont to dec at front edge on every foll 4th roww, work 17 rows.
Inc row K7, m1, work to end
work 5 rows.
rep the last 6 rows 4 times more and the inc row again.
Keeping the side edge straight, cont to dec at front edge on every foll 4th row until seam measures 33cm/13in.”

I hope that is clear and that someone can help because I’ve already re-knitted it twice and it’s driving me nuts now!!

How much of a difference do those 8 stitches make? Is it really going to fit poorly if you just leave them? Would it be a huge problem if you knit another inch or so and let it be longer? Then you could do your decreases at a bit faster rate to get closer to 23. So much depends on what it looks like at this point, it’s hard to know specifically.

It doesn’t sound as if not increasing made a difference, your row gauge may be off which made it longer. How come you’re at 22 inches instead of 13?

sue

Sue, I think that tamsin is wondering whether she had troubles during the first part (the part quoted above) and that is why she’s having incorrect measurements now that she’s nearly at the shoulder shaping. That’s why she’s already coming up to the 22" part and not the 13" part.

Tamsin, I find these instructions a bit confusing, or not worded properly. It is not very clear whether you are to decrease at front edge every 4th row and THEN work 17 rows, or if those 17 rows are the ones that you are decreasing within (in other words, decreasing on row 5, 9, 13 & 17) and then immediately moving into the increase rows part. How did you interpret that ‘work 17 rows’ part?? I tend to think that those every 4th rows decreases are to happen during the ‘work 17 rows’ because other than that it doesn’t tell you how many times total you are to decrease.

I tend to think that those every 4th rows decreases are to happen during the ‘work 17 rows’ because other than that it doesn’t tell you how many times total you are to decrease.

That’s what it seems like to me, also.

sue

yup. me too.

but i’m also confused. 22" is a lot larger than 13".
you would have to have added a bunch of rows to get all the way up to 22" already.

I think that she has moved to the next set of instructions already, beyond what she quoted above - she quoted that piece because she was wondering if that’s where her problem was, even though she was already much further on than that.

That’s it exactly! I got to nearly the shoulder before I realised that my measurements were off. The bit I quoted was the instruction that takes you up to the bottom of the arm hole. I did interpret that the decreases continued every 4 rows for 17 rows. But I didn’t decrease at the front edge whilst increasing on the side edge. I did consider just decreasing until I had 23 stitches and having the wrap a bit longer but then I was worried that the sleeves wouldn’t fit properly.

Thanks for all your help. I think I might take it out and decrease through the increasing rows and see how much difference that makes.