Preventing rolling

I am making a sweater using a circular needle in all stockinette stitch, is there anything I can do to the bottom hem of the sweater to keep it from rolling upwards? Sewing something on the bottom etc.

help would be greatly appreciated!

C

Rolling is the nature of stockinette. But you could either knit a border for the bottom or crochet a border. Good Luck :wink:

would sewing something like bias tape or something on the back help?

Hey…try it! You never know! I kinda like the look of a rolled edge on some things, though…

It would only take about 4 rows of knit as a border to prevent rolling. I just made a tank that was stockinette with a 4 row garter stitch border around the bottom and I really like how it looks.

Hey, thanks a lot!

So to make a border, all I need to do is pick up the stitches around the bottom and knit them?

Well, you would usually do garter as your first rows…if you pick them up & knit them, they will be upside-down…but, Im all for trying anything!

I don’t think an upside down garter stitch would look much different - if any - than a right side up garter stitch. Go for it!!

So I take it you’ve already started the sweater?? What’s the pattern?

One thing I’ve done and liked, is to pick up stitches along the bottom edge, and knit an inside hem: Knit a row plain, then on the next round decrease 10% of the stitches, to prevent it from being a bulky hem. Knit for an inch or inch and a half, then just whip stitch each stitch to a purl nub of the inside of the garment. Don’t do this tightly, or it will gather or show.

So, in case this isn’t clear: this hem is worked in stockinette, and is folded up inside the garment and bound off by sewing to the garment. This is how I hemmed the Bumble Bees Sweater shown here. As you can see, the hem shows as a thicker bottom, but looks good, no problem with rolling.

Amy

Hey thanks! I worked on knitting some decorative thread on the bottom hem, to make it pretty, and it turned out nice… and non rolling! thanks!!

C

I have had a bottom edge that curled, in spite of using Elizabeth Zimmerman’s PWYC method. I picked up and knitted an k2 p2 border and it looks like it was part of the sweater all along. I’m doing an afterthought hem like stated above, but I purled the first row to give me a place to fold it under.