Poncho on front page

Could some one please tell me how many stitches to cast on for a poncho to fit a 4 year old? I have been trying to make my daughter one and don’t know how many to start with. I have tried 50, 65, and last night I tried 128. And should I still knit until it’s 16 in long? I have no idea how many to start with. She really wants me to make her one. Any help would be greately appreciated, I am very new to knitting.
Thanks,

You might want to take a look at www.knittingpatterncentral.com . They have lots of free patterns.

That’s where I have a problem too. I can’t read a pattern. That’s why I was wanting to try that poncho. It’s just knitting until you have 16 inches. I have only made a few scarfs in garter stitch. See I told you I was new… I will look anyway. Thanks.

If you know how wide you want it, you can figure out how many stitches to cast on by doing a little math. Knit a square about 5 inches across. See how many stitches you get over 4 inches across. Divide that by 4 and you’ll have stitches per inch.

Multiply your stitches per inch by the number of inches you want and you’ll know how many stitches to cast on.