Poncho Help

I know I have asked this before, but I keep knitting and knitting and can’t figure it out. Could someone tell me how many stitches to cast on for the poncho on this home page. I tried 45 not big enought for my 4 year old. Or could someone explain the concept to me. Do I neet the cast ons to be long to be long in the V or not. I just don’t understand. My little girl really wants one and I want to get it knitted before winter gets here and she would need a winter coat then…
Thanks,

is the poncho on THIS website?

Yes, it the purple one on the home page. I just don’t understand the concept. I have tried 100 stitches and 75 stitches. I just don’t understand and If I am going to be knitting the same thing twice. I don’t want to do it twice and it come out wrong.

This starts with the hood and works it’s way down. That’s why it appears to be so small at the beginning. You work back and forth down to the neck and then you start working in the round, and it gets wider and wider until you get to the bottom. You only make one. You can start with fewer stitches if you want and look and see how long you want the hood to be and how long you want the body to be.

It’ doesn’t have a hood, that I know of. Of goodness it it does I am really confused. I was going out of town this weekend and wanted to start knitting. It’s on the getting started page. Cute little girl about 2 yrs old modeling a purple poncho that is two rectangles in garter st sewn together.

If I’m reading it right, this is what you knit:

[ul]Cast on 32 stitches.
Knit in garter stitch (knit every row) until the rectangle measures 16 inches long.
Bind off.
Knit a second, identical garter stitch rectangle.
Join so that the piece looks like an L.
Fold your L so that it looks like a V and join that side[/ul]

This is the link to the (baby sized) pattern: http://radio.weblogs.com/0129449/categories/Knitting/2004/09/16.html

And this is the link to the thread on this forum that talks about the toddler size version: http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1998#1998

Hope that clears it up a bit!

well the original baby pattern gauge was 4 stitches per inch. i would think if you do a test swatch of the yarn and needles YOU are using and measurements of your daughter you should be able to figure out the math for casting on.

Thanks a lot. Maybe I have seen the light. Just one other thing. I don’t know the math. I have never knitted anything that I need a gauge either. Not sure what to do there. Told you I was knew.

Thanks again. I will start knitting on my trip tonight.
Wanda

Oops! I looked at the wrong poncho. Let me go back and check again.

You cast on on the long side and make two rectangles. As for assembing it, try to follow the directions with two rectangles of paper. You’ll see how the two pieces go together. It looks like the long sides of the rectangles are the outside edges of the poncho.

The only directions I could find for a larger size is in the discussion section under the toddler pattern.

Maybe once you can envision how to put it together, you can figure out how wide you want the rectangles to be and cast on accordingly.

Thanks, for all of your help. I think I finally got it this weekend. The Length of 16 inches is my length of the poncho. I was thinking the cast on stitches was the length. You don’t know how long I have been trying to get this started for my little girl. She keeps asking me if I am knitting on her poncho yet. So now I have started it over again for maybe the 10 time and this time I’m not going to take it out. I just hope it big enough for her. But I did cast on 45 stitches. And I may knit it longer than 16 inches just to make sure she can get some wear out of it. I don’t want to work this hard on it and it be too small. I will measure her too to make sure I do make it long enough. Thanks again for make me see the light. I don’t know why I didn’t see it before now.