Pocket in sweater

I have created pockets but these directions stump me. Can anyone clarify?
Next row (RS)Work 18 stitches in pattern place next 20 front sts on holder, place 20 held pocket lining sts on left needle with RS facing and work across them in pattern established by front sts; work center 20 sts; rep from * to once more for second pocket, then work 18 sts to end.
Note…there is no second * printed.
Thanks very much.

What pattern is this from? I’m getting the idea it’s a knit in place, seamless pocket.

You are replacing 20sts of the front with the 20sts of pocket lining which are on hold.
Work 18sts, place the next 20sts on hold and knit across the held pocket lining sts then continue with the the pattern over the next 20sts.
The repeat seems like it’s this section “… place next 20 front sts on holder, place 20 held pocket lining sts on left needle with RS facing and work across them in pattern established by front sts…”
The result will give you 2 pockets separated by 20 center sts. There will be 2 sets of 20sts on hold and the pocket lining will now be worked in place of those 20sts.
What is the name of your pattern?

1 Like

The pattern is Bouvier by Sarah Solomon.

Very pretty!
Yes, you can see the 2 pockets with about 20sts between the two. The basic idea is just to replace the sts you have been knitting with the held sts from the pocket lining. The front sts are then on the holder.

I feel like I’ve never knitted! So dumb that I can’t get this.
I knit 18 then I put the next 30 on holder. Where are the 20 held pocket lining sts I’m to put on the left needle?

Sorry. 20 sts on holder.

There should be instructions for the pocket lining somewhere before or possibly after the front directions. It’ll be a cast on of 20sts, knit for so many inches then place the sts on hold; make 2 of this lining. Essentially, it’s two squares.

Thanks so much. Think I’ll be ok now.