Please, I could use some help with the Einstein Coat pattern

I am trying to make an Einstein Coat, from the Sally Melville’s Book 1

I did my swatch for the ‘Not -So-Warm’ coat. I got it!!

So , today I started to look over the pattern and I am confused right off the bat.

If one of you that has the Sally Melville’s Book1:the knit stitch inspiration&instruction . could you look at page 91,

1Lower Body Piece

I cast on 72.
work garter st with sl-st edge for 1(RS) row.

I get the cast on

Turn work and place a maker to designate WS

What do I do on the WS at the start? Just knit the first sts on the needle?
Here’s where I am confused,

(Work to 3 ridges from BEGINNING?) ending with WS row

What does that mean ( ) ? Shouldn’t they have given me a certain number of ridges to count up??

Please if you can ,I’d really appreciate some guidance with this and it probably won’t be the last time I ask. I have never done something like this on my own.

With garter stitch, it’s reversible, so this is just letting you know to mark one side for the WS. You would work 3 ridges (6 rows) from the cast on, I think.

I cast on 72.
work garter st with sl-st edge for 1(RS) row.

It looks like your first knit row was the right side. Just tie a little piece of yarn on the other side when you turn to remind you that it’s the ws.

Work to 3 ridges from BEGINNING

If they had said to work until you have 3 ridges, it probably would have been easier to understand.

Thanks ladies, I hope you all don’t mind my questions, because I know I will be back with more as I continue on this project.

I get this

[B]Turn work and place a maker to designate WS

What do I do on the WS at the start? Just knit the first sts on the needle or do I sl sts like I did on row 1?

In this pattern ,the whole coat is done in sections and then each section is sewn together.
Here’s where I am confused,
[/B]

Is there anyone here working this pattern right now?

I don’t know if I got it or not, but I just did the same as I did in row 1. yif, sl st,yib knit to end of row.

I hope that works out ok.

I’m still looking for anyone that is working on the Einstein Coat pattern and would n’t mind helping me follow the pattern, so I don’t mess this up.:pray:

OMG, I just stopped to look over my knitting on my Einstein Coat. I am 100 ridges into the lower body and I just realized I screwed up. I followed the instruction for ’ Begin buttonholes Next Row’ then I had to stop . when I came back two days later I wasn’t paying attention and for reasons unknown to me I stupidly skipped over ‘End buttonholes :Next Row’
There are three tiny holes on the lower body that I have to look for and I can get my pinky through. Now what do I do?
A) Forget about making the upper buttonholes, and look for another idea for buttons and clasps?
B)Precede with instructions and still make upper body buttonholes and maybe I can make the lower holes work?
C) Forget about buttonholes altogether?
If I have to frog this thing for buttonholes, I may never get it done.:wall:

I think you could just close up the holes with a strand of yarn and go on. If you have to hunt them up in the first place, they’re probably not very big anyway.

Your right, I have to really look to find them. Is there anyway to open them up more?

I don’t know what to do when I get to the upper body now.

You had a question about if you slip a stitch at the beginning of each row or not. It seems like you did. I seem to remember when it had you work on the swatch that it said to practice slipping the first stitch to get in the habit. Is there anything like that there?

With small buttonholes… they do stretch when you put buttons through them unless they have been sewn around so maybe they will work better than you think.

I thought you meant you put them in the wrong place and wanted to close them up… :??

I did work the swatch and I did get in the habit of yif,sl sts,yib .

I tried poking my finger into the three wrongly made buttonholes on the lower body and I think your right the sts do seem to give a bit. I might just choose plan B

B)Preceed with instructions and still make upper body buttonholes and maybe I can make the lower holes work?

[B]I will soon be at my 245 ridges on my lower body , I used the crochet cast on, but how do you bind off when you have reached the end of the lower body and then move on to the upper front?

I don’t see instructions for this in the book.
[/B]

A regular bind off should give you a chained edge similar to the crochet cast on.