Please help!

I’m making a sweater for my sister as a christmas gift but there is one little problem that i don’t seem to understand on the pattern.

it says:
To Shape Neck: Knit across 24 (26, 28) sts, bind off next 32 (34, 34) sts, knit to end of row. Work over the last 24 (26, 28) sts only, decreasing 1 st at neck edge on next row and every other row until there remain 20 (22, 24) sts. Bind off loosely. Attach thread to other side of neck edge and work to correspond, reversing neck shaping.

thanxs :stuck_out_tongue:

To make it simple to translate the pattern I used the smallest size if you need a larger one use the larger size and exchange the 24, 32, 24 with the size that you need. You probably already know that, but if not, I’ll explain it better if you ask.

Knit 24 stitches, bind off next 32 stitches then knit to end of row. Knit the last 24 stitches in the pattern and decrease 1 stitch at the end of row (where the edge of the neck is))(usually you decrease the stitch before the last stitch so that you can sew the edges in a more clean way) You do these decrease rows every other row until you count that there are 20 stitches left. Then bind off. Cut the thread and then attach it to the other side of the neck edge and Decrease 1 stitch at the beginning of the row. (Because they are asking for you to reverse the pattern). Continue to work the pattern as: knit 24 stitches, bind off next 32 stitches then knit to end of row. Knit the last 24 stitches in the pattern. You do these decrease rows every other row until you count that there are 20 stitches left.
I really hope that this helps you.

Hi fluffysnow and welcome!
I agree with mekaerwin up to cutting the yarn and reattaching to the first shoulder. Start at the neck edge on this side and purl back to the armhole edge, turn and knit to 3 sts before the neck edge, k2tog, k1. I like the idea too of leaving one stitch between the neck edge and the decrease. It’ll make it easier to add a collar if that’s part of the pattern. Dec at the neck edge every other row. This puts all the decreases on RS (public side of work) rows.

I already did this part
Knit 24 stitches, bind off next 32 stitches then knit to end of row.
next it says Work over the last 24 (26, 28) sts only does this mean on the same row is 24 sts. 32 bind off ,24 sts which one of those 24 sts. :??

in the next row it says decrease but is doesn’t say what type of decrease so what decrease should I do??

thanx hope u understand cos my explanation wasn’t that good. :aww:

OK, you’ve bound off 32 and worked to the end of the row. The working strand of yarn is coming off the end of the needle in your right hand. Turn and purl back on those same 24sts that you just knit. Purl up to the gap made by the bound off sts. Now turn again, k1 and you can do a ssk or a skpo (see Glossary above if you’re unsure about how to) here.

You’re going to work one set of 24 sts at a time. For now, let the other 24sts hang out on the needle without working on them.

I finally finished all the decreasing part up to having 20 sts on my needle. i left my other 24 sts apart now i don’t know what next.

‘‘Attach thread to other side of neck edge and work to correspond, reversing neck shaping’’ what does this mean???:shrug:

Ok, good. Take a new end of yarn maybe from a new ball or the other end of the current ball. Holding on to that end at the neck edge, start purling back across the 24sts of the other shoulder. Purl to the armhole edge, turn and knit to 3sts before the neck edge, k2tog, k1. Then continue decreasing every other row at the neck edge, similar to the other shoulder.

Don’t worry if the sts are a bit loose where you’ve joined the new yarn. You can tighten them up later when you weave in the ends.

i’m still don’t get it i’m a very slow learner so it takes me longer to understand things
the only part i don’t understand is:

‘‘Attach thread to other side of neck edge and work to correspond, reversing neck shaping’’ :waah:

That’s ok. How long it takes to understand isn’t as important as understanding in the end.
Basically, you want the two sides of the neck opening to be mirror images of each other. You want a symmetrical neck opening.
Since you knit across the first 24sts before you bound off for the center 32sts, you want to purl across those 24sts now. Attach a new strand of yarn and purl across those 24sts right now.
You should turn and be ready to knit across the 24sts. Do that but stop before the last 3sts, k2tog and k1. Now turn and purl to the armhole edge again. Keep repeating these last two rows until you have the same number of sts left as for the first shoulder that you worked (20sts).