Please Help!

I finished my first baby sweater, actually my first sweater of any sort. I don’t understand the measurements on the pattern. The pattern says that the chest should measure 22 inches. My piece only measures 14 inches across the front piece. This sweater is supposed to fit a 6 to 9 month old baby. I don’t have any children, but I don’t think any baby has a 22 inch chest.

The pattern says that 22 inches is the actual measurement of the chest. I casted on 57 stitches, and 57 stitches measures out to 14 inches.

Please help me, and tell me what I’m missing or what I’m doing wrong. I can’t even stretch and block the sweater out to 22 inches.

Thank you!!!
Lyric

Did you did a 4"x4" swatch to see if your gauge was the same as the pattern’s recommendation? also, if it measures 14" across the front then with the back (which may be smaller?) it would be 28" which would be sort of baggy, but not horribly large. Maybe you need to go out and borrow a kid for a trying. :smiley:

Thanks, Knitncook. About 5 minutes ago, I realized, you don’t just measure across the front of a person, you measure around the front and the back. I’m so goofy!! I don’t know how I make it in the world. I was measuring across just the front of the sweater, thinking that it should be 22 inches. You’re absolutely correct, and I thank you so much for your help.:slight_smile: