Please Help

Hi everyone I have decided to start knitting again after a few years but I only knew how to do the basics ie knit purl cast on and cast off!!! I have decided to bite the bullet and try some circular knitting needles (4mm& 40cms) and have brought some wool DK. I’m trying to work out how many stitches I need to cast on as one you tube video said 40 ( but they used chunky wool & bigger kneedles ) and googling it said 114 so there is a big difference the hat is for my hubby who’s head is 23 inches diameter and I plan to do ribbing 2 plain 2 purl also casting off it said knit 6 then 2 together next row knit 5 then 2 together then 4 then 3 then with darning needle put wool throu rest and pull is this correct still for 114 stitches??? So confused and also suffer from anxiety which probably makes it worse as I’m scared to get it wrong :cry:

It’s best to start with a tension square, using your yarn and needles close to the size recommended on the band. Make a swatch at least 5 inches wide so you get an accurate result when you measure a 10 x 10cm square.
Then compare your results with the tension stated in the pattern - stitches per inch is more important than row gauge right now, since basic hats will tend to be more adjustable height wise. If you’re close to the gauge then just start following the pattern carefully.
If it doesn’t fit your husband when you’re done, it could fit someone else!

1 Like

Hi thanks for that I will do that now thanks for your prompt reply

1 Like

That’s a great answer. I have a book of baby patterns that changes the size just by changing the needle size and/or yarn gauge! Surprisingly, it works quite well when you don’t have exactly what you want of all three (I needed a size 14, but the pattern only went to 12. Solution: a higher gauge needle. It’s a little bit looser knit, but fits.). Still a good idea to knit the sample square first, tho, to check proportions.

2 Likes

Try giving yourself permission to make a mistake; that will make the whole process much more fun! Also, when you do make a mistake, you can try figuring out how to fix it , which in and of itself. is very satisfying. In the end, it is only yarn and the idea is to enjoy yourself.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply it’s all new to me as in the past I’ve only knitted scarves!!!

Thanks I have now brought the right size kneedles and chunky wool didn’t realize it was so complicated but hey learn something new everyday :grinning:

2 Likes

I started knitting 40+ years ago (with a break of almost 20 years) and I’m still learning :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve also been diagnosed with anxiety and have had counselling. Knitting really helps focus my mind and is very therapeutic :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Aww thank you for your reply Anxiety sucks it’s good to hear knitting helps therapy helps a little for me so far but I’m looking forward to trying I’m just extremely apprehensive at starting it as I don’t know to undo knitting and carry on I would have to pull it all off and start again. I just need to try and concentrate (I have a very short attention span) I think once I bite the bullet it will be fine Hubby says he really doesn’t care but I’m a perfectionist and want to get it right!!! I just need to chill ha ha :grinning:

1 Like