Please help with slipper pattern

Hi. I’m in the process of making (what I though would be) simple slippers. Made it through the sole a-ok, but now I’m lost.

here is the link: http://gasparotto.typepad.com/miscellanea/2006/09/maes_slippers_t.html

Here is the pattern:

Upper:

Cast on 8 stitches.

Row 1: k1, inc1, knit to last stitch, inc1, k1.

Row 2: Purl
Repeat these two rows until there are 28 stitches.

Row 1: k1, inc1, k5, inc1, k1 (put these 9 stitches on stitch holder) k to end.

Row 2: p7, k14

Row 3: knit

Row 4: p7, k14

Turn work and cast off 14 stitches, knit to end. (7 stitches)

Next row: p1, inc1, p5, inc1, p1 (these 9 stitches will form the sides of the slipper).

Row 1: knit

Row 2: p7, k2

Repeat these two rows until the strip measures 30cm. Notice that the 2 inside stitches worked in garter stitch form a mini border that ensures that the slipper sides won’t curl inward.

Using kitchener stitch, graft these 9 stitches to the 9 live stitches left on stitch holder. This way there will be no seams that might hurt the foot while walking. Fasten off yarn.

My question is, I’ve put the first 9 stitches on st holder, but then, a bit farther down, it has me make another 9 stitches which says it’s the slippers side. Do I put these stitches on a holder too? It doesn’t say to, and when I get to ROW 2 (under this) it says to only P7, K2. I cant wrap my mind around it. :shrug: Doesn’t seem like it makes sense in this pattern to me.

HELP!

Thanks girls (and boys!)

Heidi

No,do not put the second 9 stitches on holder
Row 2 is those 9 stitches.
Once you start knitting it will make more sense,go for it :cheering:

Thanks Julie, but I still have 16 stitches on the needle. The (9) and 7 additional. Did I do something wrong??? :wall:

Heidi,
Sorry but I guess I don’t understand this pattern either :shrug: I don’t get It either went back and looked at pattern and I’m not sure why you have those 7 sts from the row before, and it only says to work 9 :shrug:
Someone with more knowledge is gonna have to help you.

Oh boy… I looked at it, but it’s confusing to me, too. :?? Sorry!

from what i can gather, the first 9 are still put away for later working… not sure for what, and the 7 that you had on your needle are increased by 2 to become the 9 that are now being worked for the sides. As far as I see it, if I were working the pattern, those first 9 would still be on their own stitch holder somewhere. :shrug:

[color=red]Here’s how I see this: (in my mind anyway, hope I can describe it!)[/color]

Upper:

Cast on 8 stitches.

Row 2: Purl
Repeat these two rows until there are 28 stitches. [color=red]{This makes the part that goes across your toes.}[/color]

Row 1: k1, inc1, k5, inc1, k1 (put these 9 stitches on stitch holder) [color=red]{This will be the beginning of one side}[/color], k to end [color=red]{Should be 21 st}[/color].

Row 2: p7, k14

Row 3: knit

Row 4: p7, k14

Turn work and cast off 14 stitches [color=red]{This is your instep}[/color], knit to end. (7 stitches)
[color=red]{Turn the work here and make those 7 st into the 9 they want in the next row}[/color]
Next row: p1, inc1, p5, inc1, p1 (these 9 stitches will form the sides of the slipper). [color=red]{This will start what is going to be the rest of the “sides”, it’ll go along the side of your foot, around the heel and meet up with the 9 st on the holder}[/color]

Row 1: knit

Row 2: p7, k2

Repeat these two rows until the strip measures 30cm. Notice that the 2 inside stitches worked in garter stitch form a mini border that ensures that the slipper sides won’t curl inward.

Using kitchener stitch, graft these 9 stitches to the 9 live stitches left on stitch holder. [color=red]{Here’s where you’ll have the part that covers your toes with a long strip on one side; the end of the long strip will loop around and connect with the part you left behind a while ago on the stitch holder, which is on the other side of the part that covers your toes}.[/color] This way there will be no seams that might hurt the foot while walking. Fasten off yarn.

Boy am I glad someone explained this to me :wall: You take the 7 sts you already have and turn them into 9 by increasing 2 sts :doh: If I would of had these sts on needles in front of me it would of made more sense :notworthy: Hope this helps you Heidi!!! Thanks Krazyforkats

WOWZER! Maybe this newbie bit off a bit more than she could chew!!! :?? Thanks much for those detailed explainations. Guess I’m going to frog the top and start all over.
Thanks again for all the help, you guys are FABULOUS! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Will give you an update when I get back to it.

Heidi

Okay, a silly question before I get started (again)~

When I finally work up to the 28 stitches:

(Pattern reads)

[size=2]Cast on 8 stitches.

Row 2: Purl [/size]

Repeat these two rows until there are 28 stitches.

d[color=red]o I stop at the increase row, or stop at the purl row before moving on.
[/color]
Thanks soooo much!

Heidi

I would complete the 2 row sequence, so after I got 28 st on the RS, I’d turn and P those 28, then turn again and begin my increase row. This should keep majority of P sts (including the increase row of P1, inc1, P5, etc.) on the WS of the work.

I would finish on the purl side