Please Help with pattern: Raglan round neck cardigan, child's large

Hi I am relatively novice at this and currently trying to finish the front left panel, but am stuck on deciphering it…
LEFT FRONT

Cast on 35 [38: 41: 44: 7] sts using 3 3\4mm (UK 9 - US 5)
needles and M.
Work in g st until Left Front matches Back to start of raglan
armhole shaping, ending with a ws row.

Shape raglan armhole

Cast (bind) off 3 sts at beg of next row. 32 [35: 38: 41: 44] sts. THIS HAS ME DECREASING ON THE RIGHT… not ideal for the front LEFT :sweat_smile::thinking::sweat_smile:

Work 1 row, ending with a ws row.
Break off M and join in A.
Joining in and breaking off colours as required, now work rem
section of raglan armhole in stripe sequence (see above),
working shaping as follows:**
Dec 1 st at raglan armhole edge of next and 7 [8: 8: 8: 8] foll
4th rows, then on foll 0 [0: 2: 2: 4] alt rows.
24 [26: 27: 30: 31] sts.
Work 1 row, ending after 6 [2: 4: 8: 2] rows using D [E: E: D: E]
and with a ws row.
Shape front neck
Keeping stripes correct, cont as follows:
next row (rs) (K2tog) 0 [0: 1: 1: 1] times, K14 [15: 14: 17: 17] and turn, leaving rem 10 [11: 11: 11: 12] sts on a holder (for Neckband).
14 [15: 15: 18: 18] sts.

Dec 1 st at eck edge of next 6 rows, then on foll 2 alt rows, then on 0 [0: 0: 1: 1] foll 4th row and at same time dec 1 st at raglan armhole edge of 2nd and 1 [0: 0: 0: 0] foll 4th row, then on foll 2 [4: 4: 6: 6] alt rows. 2 sts.
Work 1 row, ending after 4 [6: 8: 8: 8] rows using F and with a ws row.
THIS IS A BIT CONFUSING, I THINK I GET IT BUT…

next row (rs) K2tog and fasten off.
Mark positions for 5 buttons along Left Front opening edge
– first button to come level with row 21, last button to come
1 cm (⅜ in) below start of front neck shaping, and rem 3 buttons evenly spaced between.

Remember the left front is the left as you would wear the sweater. The bind off is at the beginning of a rs (right side) row which would be the armhole edge for the left front.

Fasten off means to cut the yarn leaving about a 6" tail to weave in later. You can pull the loop so that the tail of yarn comes through and “fastens off” the sts.

If that wasn’t the problem just let us know. Which size are you making, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc?

1 Like

Oh thank-you and woops :sweat_smile: got so flustered by this part:

Dec 1 st at eck edge of next 6 rows, then on foll 2 alt rows, then on 0 [0: 0: 1: 1] foll 4th row and at same time dec 1 st at raglan armhole edge of 2nd and 1 [0: 0: 0: 0] foll 4th row, then on foll 2 [4: 4: 6: 6] alt rows. 2 sts.

Work 1 row, ending after 4 [6: 8: 8: 8] rows using F and with a ws row.

That I was convinced I had it all wrong… so used to being able to figure things out but this wording has me thinking I need to set up a chart/graph to get it clear in my mind.

Yes, setting up a chart, drawing or table will help you keep these decreases sorted out.
Do you need help with the directions you just quoted? Which size, 1st,2nd, 3rd?

1 Like

Yes please and I’m doing the largest size.

It can be confusing. I usually write out the rows one step at a time for each edge, raglan and neck.

Call the next row, row 1. Dec at the neck edge of rows 1,2,3,4,5,6 and then rows 8 and 10. Finally dec on row 14.
At the raglan armhole, dec on rows 2,4,6,8,10,12 and 14.

1 Like

Haha thank-you so much! I tried using some of the other replies like this to sort myself out but I think I’ll need the practice of actually doing the knitting to see it in the instructions and this will definitely help me get there! So grateful!

1 Like

Sorry, but doesn’t the 4th row on the armhole have 0 dec?

If there is a 0 for your size, skip that direction.

[On the armhole, decrease on the 2nd row and for the smallest size only on the following 4th row (not row 4 but the 4th row following row 2) which would be row 6. But for the largest size, there’s the 0 so skip over this direction and go to the next direction.]

Again thanks heaps

1 Like

Girl I wish I could help. But I’m pretty new to knitting my. So far I’ve only done hats,cowls,scarves,headbands and fingerless gloves. Good luck with your project though :blush:

2 Likes

Oops sorry. Pretty new myself

You cracked it for me and here’s the result :smiley: thank you so much she loves it :heart:

3 Likes

Wow!
Fantastic cardigan and what a neat professional look to it!

1 Like

Wow thank-you so much!! Couldn’t have done it without you

Very well done! Thank you for the lovely photo.

1 Like

That turned out beautifully, congratulations!

1 Like