Please help this novice interpret instructions

:confused:
I have taken up knitting again after a 20-year hiatus and need to move on from circular caps and ribbed scarves. The problem is I lost my “knitting guru” and don’t know who to ask for help with what I’m sure is my failure to understand basic instructions.

I am trying my 1st lacy stitch pattern and thought I chose a pretty simple one for a scarf called Climbing Vines. I must be mis-interpreting what I’m supposed to do because I can’t seem to get the pattern to fit into 31 stitches. Here are the directions:

(multiples of 9 st +4)
Row 1: K3, * yo, k2, ssk, k2tog, k2, yo, k1; rep from * to last st, end k1

Row 3: K2, * yo, k2, ssk, k2tog, k2, yo, k1; rep from to last 2 sets, end k

Scarf:
Cast on 31 stitches. Purl 1 WS row.

Question 1 - Does “yo” mean I am supposed to bring the yarn forward and knit the next stitch (then knit the following 2 stitches, slip the next stitch from the left hand needle to the right without knitting it, knit 2 together, etc) OR do I bring the yarn forward, knit the following 2 stitches, slip the next stitch, knit 2 together, etc)? In other words, does “yo” mean bring the yarn forward and knit the stitch or just bring the yarn forward? Either way, I must be doing something wrong because it doesn’t “work out” for 31 stitches.

Question 2 - On the instructions for Row 3, it says "rep from to last 2 st, end k2. Do you think this is a typo and they missed an asterisk between “from” and “to”? Otherwise, from what?

I would really appreciate any help anyone can offer!

http://www.universalyarn.com/pattern.php?pattern=622
Yarn over means bring the yarn to the front between the needles. That’s all it is.
Ssk means slip the next 2sts knitwise to the right needle, then knit them together through the back loop.
There is an asterisk missing. It should be “…from * to…”

The repeat should take 9sts. See if you can place markers to help out with these repeats.

Can you edit your post to remove the scarf instructions please? We just need the 2 rows in question. That way we won’t run into copyright problems.

Welcome to KH!

There are multiple climbing vines patterns can you tell us the exact name and post a link please?

This YO (yarn over) is when you bring the yarn forward between the needles then over the right needle and then knit the 2 stitches. It will create an increase and an eyelet (hole). Scroll to the bottom and you can see the YO in both english and continental method.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases

An SSK means slip, slip, knit and it’s a left leaning decrease. Slip each stitch separately then slip the left needle in and knit through the back loop. SSK is shown in both methods at the top of the list.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/decreases

On row 3 I think it’s probably a type and supposed to be “rep from * to last two sts, end k2”

See if this helps your stitch count.

1 Like

Thanks! Not only was I misinterpreting the yo, but the ssk as well. Your reply really helped as did the Glossary section (which I just discovered) and the video that went with the definition.
I have edited my post.