Please Help Me!

I’m teaching myself how to knit using videos online as well as booklets. I’m working on a dishcloth…figured that would be a good first project, however, I need some help.

The pattern says to cast on 36 sts which I’ve done and have 36 sts on my needle. Now I turn the needle and knit across row 1 after which I again have 36 sts on my needle. NOW, I turn the needle and knit across row 2 but when I finish that row, I end up with 37 sts on my needle. I then turn the needle and knit across row three after which I end up with 38 sts on my needle. What am I doing wrong??? :shrug:

TIA!

Jeannie

If the yarn at the end of the row is over the top of the needle, it may pull the last stitch up so it looks like two and you’re knitting both legs of the stitch. At the end of the row, pull the yarn to the side so you’ll only see the single stitch there, instead of both legs of the stitch that’s actually on the row below it.

sue

Did you see this thread?

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4867

Thanks! I didn’t realize this was such a common problem for new knitters. Guess I’d better scope out the forums a little more.

Jeannie :muah: