Please help me with my glove pattern

Hi! I am further into my glove pattern. I am up to the Thumb Gusset and doing the part between the asterisks. I’m finding it hard to “M1 on both sides of marked stitch” because my marked stitch has moved.

What I mean is this: first, the instruction says “k20, M1, k1 (mark stitch with safety pin)” which is what i’ve done. Then it says “Purl row”. After I purl the row, my marked stitch has moved down a row. So, now, when I have to M1 on both sides of marked stitch, which is my marked stitch now? Where do I M1 now? And if I purl another row, my marked stitch goes further down a row. So, I really don’t know on which stitch do I M1.

Would really appreciate some help.

Thank you!

APKnitter

My pattern can be found at yarnart.50webs.com/twoneedlegloves.htm

The marked stitch is one row down after you’ve completed the purl row but you still want to M1 on either side of that column of sts. If it helps, you can move the marker up a row so that it’s easier to see the marked stitch or you could add in another marker on the current row.
You only have to repeat the increase row 4 times more so not very many more of the gusset increase rows to go.
Are you working with a dark color yarn? This may make it a little more difficult to easily see the sts.

Hi

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the lateness of my reply. Yes, I am using a dark colored yarn, dark navy blue. I like your idea of putting in another stitch marker. If you have any other tips for me, please feel free to tell them to me.

Thanks!

APKnitter

OK, let us know how it goes. We have an expert glove maker on the forum who will be happy to help too, @Daylilydayzed

APKnitter,
I would be glad to help you if you need some more help.

1 Like

Hi

Thank you for offering to help. I gratefully accept! Ok, so i’ve already made a mistake. On my second increase row, I increased three stitches instead of two! I increased one stitch before the marked stitch, and two stitches after! It was so hard to see, and it was so tight! Now, instead of 42 stitches, I have 43! And then, to make matters worse, i’ve purled the next row. What can I do now? Will the pattern still work out? Thanks!

There’s a couple of things. The extra stitch isn’t really a problem on the thumb unless it’s leaving a hole. You can tink back on the row to correct it or just leave it. Why do you think it was so tight? Are you working the increase row every other row?
You should be working a purl row after the increase knit row. That doesn’t sound like a mistake.

What do you think, @Daylilydayzed ?

Hi

Firstly, I think it was so tight because I was picking up the wrong bar when I was increasing a stitch. After I picked up the bar from the front with my left needle, I found it hard to push my right needle into the back of the picked up stitch to complete a knit stitch.

I don’t really know what you mean by “tink back on the row”? Do you mean I could undo all my stitches up to my extra stitch? I would like to do that but i’ll have to undo the purl row too because i’ve already purled the next row. I’m not sure I can do this and i’m not sure I want to undo it all because I don’t know how to put it all together again.

May I ask, can I just increase one stitch instead of two on the next increase row? Would that work, do you think?

Thanks!

If you want to leave the extra stitch, that’ll work and probably not be noticeable. I’d continue with the increase of 2sts on the following rows however and just live with the extra thumb stitch. It won’t make much difference at your gauge. In the end, it’s up to you. If you’d prefer to increase only one stitch on the next increase row, then that’s what you should do. That’ll work too.
Here’s a video for tinking back (just for your information) which has the advantage that the sts are never off the needles You undo one stitch at a time back to the extra stitch.

Everything Salmonmac has said is what I would do.it doesn’t take long to undo two rows when it is a glove , but in my case undoing a row on the baby blanket involves more that 100 stitches.

I’ve looked at the video and you’re right, it’s not as hard as I thought. However, do you have a video for tinking purl stitches, because I 've already purled a row?

Tinking is unknittting the stitches one by one, To do it on the purl side you put the yarn in the right hand and left needle tip into the stitch to be unknitted .and then pull the yarn out of the stitch.

I don’t get to thinking the purl stitches . Do you have a video? Or perhaps, you could video yourself doing it? Asking for a lot, I know. I’m very grateful. Thank you so much!

Daylilydayzed
April 25 |

Tinking is unknittting the stitches one by one, To do it on the purl side you put the yarn in the right hand and left needle tip into the stitch to be unknitted .and then pull the yarn out of the stitch.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

APknitter
April 25 |

I’ve looked at the video and you’re right, it’s not as hard as I thought. However, do you have a video for tinking purl stitches, because I 've already purled a row?
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I also need the same help. So, I find the answer here thanks all you for sharing

Here’s a video for tinking purl sts (or should that be lruping?). I pull up on the working yarn to make the stitch below more obvious and so that I don’t stick the left needle into the working yarn. For purling, pull the yarn up from the front. For knit sts, pull the yarn up from the back.

Oh! I managed to lrup and tink the two rows. Thank you, Everybody! Now, i’m back on track.

Glad to hear t6hat you are back on track.You will be getting good practice undoing your knitting in future projects swo now when you see the term tink back, you will know what to do.