Please help me. New and trying to cast on

I’m trying to do this on my own and the video on here goes too fast for me to follow, lol. I have instructions in front of me and still can’t get it, am I hopeless? The slippery yarn keeps slipping off my needles, aaauughh! :slight_smile:
Darcy

Far from hopeless, at least you’re giving it a shot, and knowing where to come for help. Which cast on are you trying to do first of all? and one tip I’ll pass on is to make a slip knot for your first stitch.

The only thing I’ve got down is the slip knot, Oy! I’ve done 3 stitches, 2 side by side, the 3rd thru the first 2, all on the left needle. So now I have a big knot looking mess.
Darcy

There’s gotta be an easier way to cast on! Does anyone know of a r e a l l y slow video online I can watch? One in slow motion would be fantastic!
Darcy

alright, sounds to me like you’re trying a knit cast-on. you might try the long tail or the single cast on first. Those are the easier methods to try. I, myself, had trouble learning to cast on at first too, so don’t give up trying, you’ll get it. :slight_smile:

Okay, now you know you’re dealing with a beginner -I have no idea what those mean. I need to go get a book with big clear pictures. Big fat colored pics, know where I can see those online?
Darcy

Maybe this Knitty article will help?

Bless you! Colored photos!
Darcy

Okay! I had 6 loose stitches done and pulled them off the needle and redid them, slippery suckers. But the stitches looked like they should instead of a jumbled mess, progress!

Do I just keep doing what I’m doing and make a chain? One step at a time, I might get it.
Darcy

Oh, and is there something I can do with the tail so it’s out of my way or do I just work around it?

Keep going as you have been. Leave the tail for now.

After each stitch is put on the left needle is there a way to tighten the yarn from the ball with the needles instead of pulling it taut by hand?
Darcy

Generally, you don’t want to tighten the stitch at all, when you start actually knitting, or purling into them, they’ll tighten on their own.

For now, don’t worry about how tight the stitches are; that will come with practice. Just CO a bunch, like 20-30, then you can go to the next step. You can back up the videos and look at each step over and over again, you know. Also the Lion yarn site has instructions with nice big illustrations. Maybe that will help. And while your work may not look as neat and even as the pictures, it will eventually.

sue

There are lots of excellent reference books out there, but the one I’d recommend for an absolute beginner is “The Knitting Experience: The Knit Stitch,” by Sally Melville.

Her directions for casting on are the clearest and most complete I’ve seen anywhere, right down to where each finger goes. The color photos are good if a bit small and I like that they show both hands at work. It’s almost like having a teacher taking you through every step.

The rest of the book is unique in that it teaches you how to make some very nice things using just one stitch – the knit stitch. As you progress, you learn many of the basics of knitting. Later books in the “Knitting Experience” series deal with the purl stitch and with using color.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and info. The pics on the LionBrand website explain some of what I wasn’t understanding.

I will definately look at that book, “The knitting experience”!

I’m sure I’ll be back asking more questions soon!
Darcy