Please help me decipher this

A pattern calls for:

Next Round: Using waste yarn, k7; slip these sts back to left needle and k them again using working yarn; work in 4x1 Rib as set to end.

Waste yarn? Does that mean yarn that was not really attached to the project, like adding in a new color?

It’s from this pattern.

Thanks!

EDIT - Oh wait, now I see this:

Carefully remove waste yarn and place resulting live sts on two double-point needles; there will be 7 sts below the opening and 6 sts above. Attach yarn and k the 7 sts on lower needle; using a second needle, pick up and k 2 sts in space between upper and lower needle, k first 3 sts from upper needle; using a third needle, k remaining 3 sts from upper needle and pick up and k 2 sts in space between this needle and lower needle. 17 sts.

And I think THAT is what I really need help with, hah. My mind is spinning.

This is one of those things that work best if you just trust the pattern and do it, imo.

So, yes, grab a small piece of waste yarn - like a cotton or something that hopefully won’t shed on your project - and knit those 7 stitches with just the waste yarn. Now, slide those 7 waste yarn stitches back onto the left needle, and knit them again, this time with your project working yarn. Finish the rest of the directions for the mitt. Come back at the end, and as you slowly pull out the waste yarn, sure enough, there are the stitches, just like the pattern says, just waiting to go on your needles! You’ll need a new length of working yarn and then you can knit the thumb.

Yes, it’s a piece of scrap yarn that you remove later and put those stitches on needles, then pick up some stitches from around the opening. You’re making a thumb, right?

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I’m attempting something new. Because I really like how it looks. (Plus there was a great sale on some yarn, hehe). Sometimes my mind gets confused easily, so thanks. I ‘got it’ for some reason when someone else says it to me, too.