Please help - knitting neckline

Hello,

I’m fairly new to knitting, and I decided to take on a jumper! Everything was going well until I got to the neckline… These are the instructions:

“Continuing with the panel pattern as set work 53sts. Turn and cast off 1st at neck edge on every row until 42sts remain. Continue until work measures same as back to shoulder shaping.
Cast off 21sts at beginning of next row. Purl one row to end. Cast off remaining 21sts.
Slip centre 20sts onto stitch holder and rejoin yarn to remaining sts.
Keeping continuity in panel pattern, cast off 1st at neck edge on every row until 42sts remain. Continue until work measures same as back to shoulder ending with a right side row.
Cast off 21sts at beginning of next row. Knit one row to end. Cast off remaining 21sts.
Join right shoulder seam.”

Surely if I leave the 20 centre stitches and work the shoulders, it’s going to be far too steep an incline? And when it says “continue until work measures same as back to shoulder shaping”, am I knitting to the same length as the back? I’m very confused by this pattern!

Welcome to KH!
Well, I’m impressed. Not an easy pattern for anyone, much less a new knitter. Good for you.
It seems like a steep incline at the neck but probably not so much. You’re decreasing every row (knit and purl rows) so trust the pattern and work the decreases as given. The pattern instructions arn’t so unusual.
As far as the shoulder shaping, measure the front at the armhole edge up to the first cast off for the shoulder. That’s where you want to begin the bind off in the front.

Thank you for your reply! So if I’m casting off at the neck edge on every row, then am I casting off 1 st at the end of my knit row and the start of my purl row?

You could decrease at the neck edge rather than cast off. That’s easier and smoother to do. On one shoulder work a k2tog (left shoulder as you wear it) and on the opposite shoulder an ssk.

I’m going to try that, thank you! So I’ll do a k2tog at the end of my RS row by the neck edge (for the left shoulder). If my pattern says “turn and cast off 1 st at neck edge on every row until 42 sts remain”, does that mean I also have to decrease purlwise on the WS?

Yes, you could do a purl 2 together on the WS. This will create a line of decreases up the neck edge of the sweater. You can work the decreases at the edge or one stitch in from the edge if you like. That leaves room to pick up sts if necessary for the collar.
On the right shoulder, the decrease that follows the neckline would be a ssk at the beginning of the RS ow and a purl 2 together through the back loop at the end of the WS row (the neck edge).
Try it out on some scrap yarn to see if you like the look.