please help im seriously stressed

I’m trying to knit christmas presents for everyone in my immediate family. A scarf for my dad, mittens for my mom, two bags for two of my sisters, something else i dont know for another sister, and a cowl for the last sister. Which is where my problem is. i am a beginner knitter, and i have the yarn for the cowl, i have the pattern, but i dont have the right needles. i dont have the time, transportation, or money to buy the size needles i need. i need size 19, the closest i have is size 15, i dont know how to make a gauge for it. Please help, i need to get one bag and the cowl done first becasue those sisters live out of state, everyone else i can get the presents to easy.

Welcome to KH and to the world of knitting!
These are all wonderful projects that will make lovely gifts. Here’s a video on gauge that may help. It’s possible that if you’re a loose knitter, you may be able to get the size 15 needles to work.

For a new knitter, you’ve given yourself a difficult task to accomplish. So many projects in comparatively little time. One of the things you can do to relived the stress is to give people IOUs for these presents. You can wrap the yarn with the IOU if you have it already or you can just give a card with a description of your planned project, maybe even the photo of the pattern included. That way you’ll have time to be present and enjoy the holiday with your family. That’s one of the best gifts you can give.

1 Like

Thank you so much! Yes it is a lot, but I’ve made scarfs and a bag before, so heres hoping. I’m almost done with one bag, a d getting ready to do the cowl. I’ve told my sisters about whats going on and they told me not to worry, so good on that front! Again thank you so much!

I have another problem, but this one is more “I don’t understand what I’m doing.”

The bag I’m doing (which I am on the last 3 rounds of, yay!) has me stuck on the last increase bit. All the other increases have been making a stitch with the backwards loop cast on. The part I’m on calls for yarnovers, which I have never done before.

I currently have 96 stitches, I need to end this current round with 192 stitches. The pattern says:
Increase/Eyelet Round: K1, M1, K1, YO rep from * to * around. (192 stitches)

My question is when I do the yarn over, that is the wrapping the yarn around the right needle, and then do a stitch. Do I count that stitch that I do with the yarnover as the K1 at the beginning or do I count it as part of the yarnover and do a knit stich after?

That all sounds good. You certainly don’t need extra stress at this time of year!

For a yarn over, bring the yarn to the front between the needles then over the right needle to the back. That’s it. There’s no extra knit stitch that is part of the yarn over.

Okay, thank you!

I think that in your position I would be calling “Houston, I have a problem”

I think that if you just tell them you love them and what you are trying to do they will understand completely. Hope you have a great Christmas and don’t stress out too much.