Please help - First time trying lace knitting

Hi there, this is my first attempt at knitting something other than a plain old scarf or blanket and I’m a little confused.

Basically the pattern says to cast on 25 stitches. Okay. Knit for 5 rows, okay. Then it gets to the lace pattern, and at the end of the first line, it says I should have 31 stitches on my needles instead of 25. My problem is I get 3/4 of the way through the line and I’ve run out of stitches.

I think my problem is with the yarn over. I know how to do one, but I’m a little confused about the subsequent stitch. If the pattern says [yo, k1] 5 times, does that mean I put the yarn over and knit and THEN knit 1 (and continue) or do I just put the yarn over and the following stitch is the k1?

There’s really something to be said for having a knitting support group in person! I need to find one of those rather than trying to teach myself out of books. :wink:

Thanks so much for your help!

A yarn over is something that is done between stitches. When it says YO, K1 the yarn over doesn’t touch any stitches and the K1 goes into the next stitch. [YO, K1] 5 times would only use up 5 stitches.

Just put the yarn over and the following stitch is the k1. A lot of people think a yo is a yo AND KNIT THE NEXT STITCH, but it isn’t. It’s just putting the yarn over the needle to create a new stitch.

Have fun!

Thank you both so much! That makes perfect sense. No wonder I was running out of stitches. I will try again and do it right this time. Thank you so much!! :heart:

It’s a common error, especially if the next st is a knit 1.