Planning a traditional Aran pullover

I enjoy knitting with cable designs and want to have a go at a traditional Aran pullover. Rather than following someone else’s pattern I would like to assemble my own from cable designs I like, using one of the many books on cables which seem to be available. The main question is what yarn to use. I think the natural undyed wools look best and given the amount of labour that will be involved I am prepared to invest in a good quality yarn. The choice however is bewildering. Many natural aran weights are available from all kinds of sheep breeds, including merino, blue-faced Leicester, Wensleydale etc. Which would be best?

I love these sweaters and have made several over the years usually incorporating a honeycomb stitch pattern.
This may be a matter of personal preference. If you can get to a very good yarn store or talk to a spinner you may be able to see and feel some of the single breed yarns or blends.
Jamieson and Smith (Shetlands) has a good reputation and sells both yarns and kits for Aran knits.
http://www.shetlandwoolbrokers.co.uk/epages/BT2741.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT2741/Categories/Yarns

1 Like

Don’t use Merino, it’s too slippery, you want something a bit ‘sticky’ so that everything ‘bonds’. blackeryarns.co.uk might be a good place to start :slight_smile:

1 Like