Picking up stitches

Well, I have no idea if someone has already asked this, but if someone has, feel free to tell me off. x)

Anyway, I’m working on a pattern that told me to BO 17, k 15, turn, k 15 again and pick up 19 stitches from the 17 I bound off in the last row. The part I have a problem with is the picking up 19 from 17. O.o I know how to pick up stitches, but not how to pick up a larger number of stitches than what was bound off.

I must admit, I am in no way a expert knitter and I’m sure this problem is very simple, but I would be very VERY grateful if someone could help me out. ^^"

They probably want you to pick up on the very edges as well as in the 17 stitches to avoid holes. If that doesn’t work out, you can pick up a stitch in each of the loops of the bind-off to get two-in-one.

What are you making that requires you to bind off and then pick up again? (just curious)

I was thinking the same thing, but I’m not sure exactly how I would do that without breaking the yarn somehow. ^^" I’ll probably try your second option.

I’m making a cabled hoodie. The problem is where the shoulders meet the hood at the back. Here’s what it looks like:

http://twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/component/content/article/60-winter-2008-patterns/148-vivian-by-ysolda-teague

You don’t have to break off the yarn, you’re knitting across the 15 sts to the BO, so pick up a stitch right where the last bound off st is to bridge the gap, then one in eash bound off st, and another in the space where the first st was bound off. When you get there, you’ll see a gap between the live sts and the bound off ones and that’s where you pick up a stitch, which is really sort of like a M1 - at least that’s how I do them.

Phew! I got past it finally. ^^ Thank you both very, very much for your help! :mrgreen: