Picking up stitches

Hello,

Is there a general rule to picking up stitches – as far as picking up every stitch (when), or skipping some, etc. Any tips on this would be appreciated!

Jaye

Amy has a video here: http://knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/misc.php on picking up stitches. She shows how and explains some general rules about it - I think it covers all of your questions.

I went to a finishing class a little while ago and the teacher said on the vertical side of something where you are picking up the sides of rows (or on the diagonal, like a neck edge) that the general rule is to pick up three and then skip one. She said, “Remember 1, 2, 3, skip,” as she skipped around the room to demonstate. :slight_smile: If you are picking up across horizontally where you have stitches, you should pick up one for one. That is the general rule.

I have always understood that you pick up the number of stitches called for on the pattern, just making sure if you skip some they are evenly apart. I don’t think it ends up looking too big of a deal?:shrug:

I just wanted to add that the lady who taught the class I went to suggested we throw out the suggested number of stitches the pattern says to pick up and pick up what needs to be picked up, using the method she outlined and that I told about above. It is scary to “not follow the pattern”, but once you do it is quite freeing. You should have near the number the pattern says to pick up (if you are using a pattern), but not to obsess over it too much. If you are way off you are probably doing something wrong. :slight_smile:

Sometimes there may be a reason to have an exact number of stitches, for instance if you are adding a crochet trim that needs to worked over a certain number of stitches to fit exactly. But usually for a regular neck or for button/buttonhole bands it doesn’t have to be an exact number. And if you are doing something like a K2, P2 ribbing you have to have a multiple that will work with your stitch.

I must hasten to add that she said this was the [U]general rule[/U], and that with this rule you should also be working with a needle 2 sizes smaller than the one you did the body of the sweater with. If your sweater is doing something different with the edging, to get a certain design look, you may need to follow the pattern exactly.