Picked up the needles and booooy what a boo boo

Hi all! Haven’t been around in awhile…any way, knit up a plain old hat (using a cotton yarn…hate it…the yarn) anyway I did the rim (beg) k1 and P2…well it’s waaaaay to big at the bottom…Any thoughts on how to decrease after the fact? Maybe pick up some sts and either crocet an edge or knit something to “tighten”? Thanks alot…

How much have you done? The first few rows look bigger than the finished item does. If you’ve got a couple inches done and it’s too big at the CO edge, it’s still not going to fit by decreasing now. So you’ll have to figure out how many sts you actually need and start over with the right number. A hat should be about an inch less than the head size to fit right.

The “hat” is done…as in complete…the cotton yarn is yayyy stretched out making the cast on/ brim way too big/huge…

If you don’t want to reknit on smaller needles or less stitches, you could run some elastic thread through the brim to tighten it up.

…once again, it’s a done project…It is too big for the recepient…I need to do “something” at the ribbed beg edge…There would be NO WAY I could re-do the hat on a smaller needle…I can however make the ribbed edge longer and smaller…either knit or crochet…

You could turn up the ribbing and sew it in place if the hat’s long enough, that could tighten it up some. Or like I said, run the elastic thread through the ribbing.

One idea would be to line the hat with polar fleece. Here is an article by Techknitter about doing that, and the first reason she given for doing it is to make the hat smaller. LINK

You mentioned crochet a couple of times. It might work to crochet around the edge for a row or 2-3 with a small hook and maybe space your stitches out a bit too. You could try it.