Pick up and knit confusion on teddy bear

I’m making a teddy bear for a friend’s new baby and proud of myself for getting through most of this pattern as a beginner, but I just can’t seem to figure out the last part.

I knit up the back side if the bear and down the front so that I have most of a bear carcass at this point. I am stuck on the bottom part of the front right leg (future left leg is sitting on stitch holder for now).

Pattern reads:
"Beg with P row, work 14 rows in st st. Place marker at each end of last row.
Beg with P row, work 11 rows in st st. Break off yarn"
No problems there. Then:
"With right side facing, pick up and knit 11 sts alng right hand side of work from marker to needle, knit 11 sts from needle, then pick up and knit 11 sts from left hand side of work to marker. 33 sts."

I attempted the first pick up from the marker to needle, but from there I am stuck and can’t figure out how to knit the next 11 stitches because I’m not using DPN and the needle I would knit from it pointed the wrong way to knit off of. I thought maybe I should just put the stitches on a holder and turn the needle around, why would the pattern have me in the wrong direction in the first place unless I messed something else up.
In the photo, the more horizontal needle is on the “original” rows, and the vertical one is the one I used to pick up the stitches along the right side of work. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Here is the Ravelry link to the entire pattern: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ted-bear

Welcome!
Sounds like you’ve done it all correctly according to the pattern, ending the leg with a purl row so that your next sts would be a knit row. (Don’t know why it’s written that way.) However, you want your live sts will be on the left hand needle (the usual orientation), so you’ll need to purl across them to the left side of the foot. Since that’s the case, do as you suggest and use a holder or another needle to reverse the sts.
Darling pattern. Thanks for the link.

Thank you SO much for the response! I needed some reassurance that I was on the right track. I’m still a little confused about the pattern, but I followed your guidance and all seemed to work out well. I finished the right leg and foot, and now just need to finish up the left leg the same way, make some ears, and stuff the sweet guy :slight_smile: