Pick or Throw?

I throw, I’ve tried to pick, but I just can’t get the hang of it!

That’s okay, you don’t have to.

I throw. I find I can just work faster that way. Also less arm movement for me than picking.

throw.

When I knit, I pick. When I purl, I throw.

I’m a newly converted picker. :slight_smile: Both definitely have their merits, though!

throw

I’m a thrower. Many people have said picking is faster but I’m not really concerned about speed. I like to enjoy my knitting nice and slow but it’ll be useful to know how to knit both ways. :slight_smile:

I have no idea what you guys are talking about as such :slight_smile:

In other words Susan, picking is continental, throwins is English.

“Pick” to knit and “throw” to purl. I am trying to convert to picking for purl but my stitches feel too loose and I always feel like I am in danger of dropping stitches. I don’t know if I will ever make the switch.

Does anyone else dislike the whole “pick” and “throw” terminology? I don’t know what rock I have been living under but I have been knitting for 16 years and only recently do I see these terms bandied around. Picking makes me think of a banjo and when people say throwing the yarn I see the ball rolling across the room. I just find it weird.

Continental here. I think that seemed easier to me when I started since I already knew how to crochet.

Doesn’t that take forever when you are ribbing or some other multi-stitch pattern?

Does anyone else dislike the whole “pick” and “throw” terminology?

I prefer “english” and “continental”, but I’ve heard the terms.

I wouldn’t sweat knitting one way or the other. Continental knitters always say it’s faster, but who the heck cares. Just do what works for you and makes you happy.

I’m a “thrower”… I have tried “picking”, but I haven’t gotten the hang of it yet…

(with regard to throw to purl and pick to knit…)

I guess I could have been a little more explicit… I throw exclusively if I am doing ribbing or some other pattern type thing. And throwing exclusively still seems to make ribbing tedious, which is why I have been trying to learn to pick to purl… but I don’t know. Just can’t seem to get the hang of it.

Ohhhh I see. :teehee: I [I]can[/I] pick and I do it when I am doing fair isle because I use both hands, but I’m not comfortable with it. I figure I’m not in any speed knitting contests so I might as well do what works for me. :wink:

I’m so relieved that so many other people knit English style (“throw”). I thought I was the only one. I learned that way as a child and it just feels right. I’m not in a hurry, and want to enjoy my knitting, so I’ve no plans to learn Continental.

I’ve knitted English since I started about 30 years ago (I didn’t continue it all these years, but picked it back up about 3 years ago.) I didn’t even know there were different methods, but I do remember my SIL telling me long ago that I was knitting “wrong”. (But I was coming out with the same stitches as she, so how could it be “wrong”, I reasoned to myself. I have since learned that Annie Modesette had the same problems.)
For the last month, I’ve been trying to knit Continental exclusively, because I got the Elizabeth Zimmerman DVD for Mother’s Day and she really recommended the Continental way. If you can do both, you can do color-knitting much better, she says. SO I’m trying hard, but it’s HARD for me to do it. My left hand hurts so much, from doing all the work–still I can see that “picking” has less hand motion than throwing. I just wish my guage would finally even out. If not, I guess I’l just go back to English!!

I’ve always said it doesn’t matter which style you use, it’s just how comfortable you are with your particular method. :shrug:

I’m an English (‘throw’) knitter :mrgreen: