Pick and knit

Hi, My name is Ellen. This is my first post. I’m having a problem with my pattern. I put some of the stitches on a stitch holder, as directed. Now it says to slip the sts from stitch holder back on needle and pick up half on each side of middle part. That seems impossible to me. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thank you

Welcome!
What kind of item are you making? Can you give us a link to it or a pattern name?

We’ll figure it out don’t worry. A link or more info on what you’re making will help

I am making a pair of slippers. The picture was sent to me on Facebook The website is www.garnstudio.com. it’s a Drops Design.

Your link just goes to the website. What is the name or number of your pattern, better yet, can you give us a direct link? Sometimes with DROPS patterns there are problems due to translation.

Thank you for trying to help me. The Drops Design number is: 158-47. I can’t seem to find a direct link. I have found that I can get to it by typing in Ravelry.com/library/drops design 158-47. Hope this helps.

Link to pattern download http://www.garnstudio.com/lang/us/pattern.php?id=6671&lang=us

Is this the part you need help with?

When middle part measures 7-8½-10 cm / 2 3/4"-3 1/4"-4’’, dec 1 edge st in each side = 10 sts. Then slip the sts from stitch holder back on needle and pick up 12-14-16 sts on each side of middle part (inside 1 edge st) = 61-65-71 sts on needle. NOW MEASURE PIECE FROM HERE! Insert 1 marker in the middle of the 10 sts on middle part (= mid front on toe) and 1 marker in st at the back of heel, there are 30-32-35 sts between markers in each side. Now continue piece in the round in garter st.

Yes it is. How do you put the stitches back onto the needle on both sides of the middle part

I may get this wrong so you might want to wait for someone more experienced/intelligent to confirm or deny.

I think you have the foot with a heel done. You now are going to work the leg. Correct so far? I hope so. Put the held stitches back on the needle. I guess you’re using dpn’s. Using another needle pick up and knit half of (12-14-16 = 6-7-8) the appropriate number of stitches then pick up and knit the other half with another needle. You should be ready to join in the round for knitting the leg.

The next section tells you where to place markers for decreasing and when to decrease.
Insert 1 marker in the middle of the 10 sts on middle part (= mid front on toe) and 1 marker in st at the back of heel, there are 30-32-35 sts between markers in each side. Now continue piece in the round in garter st. When piece measures 2 cm / 3/4’’, K 2 sts tog on each side of every marker on every other round (= 4 sts less per round). Continue dec until piece measures 5-5-6 cm / 2"-2"-2½". Bind off the remaining sts. Sew seams under foot in outer loops of edge sts to avoid a chunky seam.

HTH They’re cute slippers. I may make a pair.

Thank you. I will try that.

This reads to me a lot like making a bootie with the seam down the bottom of the foot.
You’ve finished the short leg piece and knit the instep (the top of the foot sts, the 7-8.5-10cm). Now you’re to pick up and knit the sides and join to the sts on the holder. I would pick up sts along one side, knit the sts from the holder and then pick up sts on the other side of the instep. Knit 5sts from the 10 sts (toe end of the instep), place a marker, knit 5sts and continue around. You should also place a marker halfway around (mid heel). As you continue knitting in the round you’re knitting down the sides, heel and toe of the foot finishing with a seam on the sole.