Pi Shawl Question

I am doing the Leaves of Grass (Pi) shawl and I’m a little confused about how to start. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/leaves-of-grass-2

It tells me to cast on 8 stitches evenly over my DPNs, then I work Rows 1-35 of Chart A. Chart A is attached to this thread. The thing that confuses me is that row 1 just looks like one stitch to me (or is it 2, this kind of triangular chart is new to me), but I have 8 stitches on my needles, do I knit 8 stitches? And then the next row is YO, k, YO, k twice?

This is probably an silly question, I just want to make sure I start the whole thing correctly!

Thanks in advance for your help!

What a lovely, delicate shawl!
It looks like chart A is actually 2 stitches, the one at the point and the one over on the left. Row 2 is then yo, k1, yo, k1 which uses the 2 stitches from row 1.
The note at the top of the chart says to refer to the written instructions for the number of times a chart should be repeated. Take a look at the beginning instructions and see if it tells you how many times to repeat chart A. My guess is that your chart is repeated 4 times. I can see that you don’t want to go wrong at the start of this project and that’s for sure.

Oh yes! It does say its repeated 4 times. I think I thought that meant that you did Rows 1-35 4 times, but your way makes WAY more sense! :slight_smile:

I’m so excited to make this pattern. It’s intended to be for my mom, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to part with it!

Beautiful, thoughtful gift!