Perhaps an obscure question but

Hi all,
I was hoping that I could ask a question here though I am not sure if I am looking in the right place!
Basically, my fiance had a blanket when she was small, all thats left of it now is a small fragment that she still holds onto. I was wondering whether it would be at all possible to find out what material it is made from based on the remaining piece? I have a photograph that tells me the texture, size and colour of the original and I am hoping to recreate it from that!
I think she would be overawed if she managed to get a replica with similar characteristics…hopefully this is somehow possible!
Thank you so much,
Irish.

Can you post the picture you have, so we can see what it looks like?

Do you know how old the blanket is? If it’s really old, it’s most likely either wool, mohair, cotton or a blend of those. From the feel of the blanket, you should be able to determine the fiber content. Then you just have to find a yarn in the right weight that matches the color(s). The tricky part will probably be replicating the stitch pattern. Was the original blanket knitted? If it was, someone should be able to figure out the stitch pattern.

Good luck!