Peppercorn stitch

Can anyone describe to me more clearly how to do a peppercorn stitch? My instructions read as follows:
“K1 p1 K1 P1 K1 P1 all into one stitch. Pull 6th stitch from needle end over. Pull 5 stitch over. Pull 4 stitch over. Pull 3rd stitch over. Pull 2nd stitch over.”

I guess there are a few things I’m not sure of. Do I leave each stitch on the right needle and continue knitting and purling into the same stitch? Or do I slip the stitch off and put each new stitch onto the left needle? I would also like a clarification on which stitches go over which. I’ve tried a few different ways of doing these things, but I can’t seem to get it to look like the picture. I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

YOu work the K,p,k,p,k into the single stitch, leaving the ORIGINAL stitch on the left needle until you have worked all five new stitches onto your RIGHT needle. Then counting from the tip of the right needle, pass the 5th stitch over the other 4, then the fourth stitch over the remaining 3, then the 3rd stitch over the remaining 2 and the 2nd stitch over the one left. Peppercorn made.

Except you’re supposed to make 6 sts in that one st, then you start with the 6th st from the end of the right needle.

I never could count.

Its [I]that[/I] why there’s typos in your patterns… <weg>

eta - and of course, all posts pointing out typos [B]must[/B] have a typo in them… sheesh.

Thanks for your help! It seems like it would be hard to do all of that and still have room to move the needles. I’ll try knitting a little looser.