Patterns not appearing as expected

Hello everyone! I’m new to knitting, but have done crochet for years now. I wouldn’t call myself an expert at crochet, but it might be relevant that I started with that.

I’m using #8 needles and a basic yarn from Michael’s craft store that recommended that size. I bought this book: http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-Visually-Knitting/dp/0764596403 and have watched some of the how-to videos on this site. For reference, I use what this site calls the English method. I’ve been only been practicing so far and haven’t started a project yet because I feel like I’ve hit a wall. :wall:

Once I got knit and purl down, I tried to do some of the “easy” patterns in the book, but even after about 10 rows of knitting, all of the stitching looked the same to me. I didn’t see a difference between Seed, Stockingknit, and several other basic stitch patterns… in fact, they all just looked like Stockingknit if anything.

This is troublesome because the whole reason that I wanted to switch over from crochet to knitting was because I always like the knitting patterns better. I tend to both crochet and knit on the tighter side, so I tried knitting as loosely as I could handle and still no different… if anything, it looked worse to me. Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong?

It might help if you could post a picture of what you knitted? It’s not hard to mess up seed stitch the first time, though. If you’re knitting flat, you would do one row of knit/purl/knit/purl and then flip it over and do the SAME THING so that you end up with a checkerboard effect. It’s a bit hard to explain, but it makes sense once you get it right.

You’re probably right. I got so frustrated by it seemingly not coming out right that I haven’t even finished a square yet. I will do one whole stitch in a square and then post a picture and tell what the pattern is supposed to be and maybe that will help.

I just feel silly because I feel like I should be able to look at the pictures in the book and on how-to websites and see it developing, but they always look the same. I guess I will have to for myself to finish one–wrong or not.

If you want to practice seed stitch - make sure you have cast on an odd number of stitches, then you can start every row with a knit stitch. each row would be k1, p1, k1, p1 to the end. And keep at it for 10 or more rows - sometimes it takes more then a few rows to be able to see the pattern even out.

Hello everyone! I’m new to knitting, but have done crochet for years now. I wouldn’t call myself an expert at crochet, but it might be relevant that I started with that

That was me, when I joined this group. But, I got really frustrated with what I was doing and kept ripping it out. One of the things I’ve learned is that most patterns don’t look like anything at all until you’ve done a few inches. Just keep going :knitting: ,the folks here are always willing to help. You might want to try a dishcloth or simple scarf to start, one that links here to KH would be good.

I don’t think that I caught on that Seed stitch had to be an odd number in the row. At least with that particular stitch, I bet that is what I did wrong. I will go home and try that one again now that I know. Thanks!

I don’t think that I caught on that Seed stitch had to be an odd number in the row.

Seed doesn’t necessarily have to be an odd number but it’s easier when learning. The key to seed is simply to work the st the opposite of how it presents. If you have see a K, you P it…and vice versa.

cam

For Seed Stitch - if you cast on an even number, then every other row would start k1, and the in between rows would start p1. Odd just makes it easier to start every row k1.

Hmm… well I think I was doing it right, but it has been a few days. I guess I just need to go home and knit a sqare to see.

K1, p1 ribbing can look like stockinette stitch, you need to stretch it sidesways a bit to see the rib. A 2x2 or 3x3 rib shows the ribbing better.

So, I could do k2, p2 or k3, p3 instead of k1, p1? That might also be helpful if that’s the case.

I went home with a few tips from this site and tried again and looked at the patterns in my book. I was partially mistaken, too. Until last night, I kept feeling like they all were turning out like Garter stitch and I think that I was purling wrong, so they probably were. I’m nearly done with a stockinknit square now and it definitely looks the way it is supposed to. I will keep everyone posted, but thanks to all of those who gave suggestions! :slight_smile:

I said it [B]can[/B] look like stockinette unless it’s stretched, but not always. It depends on the size of needle and yarn too. Good that you’re making some improvements though.