Pattern Trouble

I am new to the forum and so happy to find it. I live in Texas and apparently knitting here is not as wide spread as it is in other parts of the country. I have to drive great distances to get to a yarn shop or visit with other knitters. So when I am stumped I have no one to turn too.

I have been knitting for a while and can read/understand most patterns but this one has me stumped.

My first question is what does the pattern mean by “work short row”? and how? My second question is in Row 6, what does the it mean to “drop yo”?

Row 4: Knit

Next Row: Work short row over border sts only: K5; turn; K5

Row 5: K5;*yo, K1; rep from * to last 5 sts; K5

Next Row: Work short row over border sts only: K5; turn; K5

Row 6: K5, *Purl nest st, drop yo; rep from * to last 5 sts; K5

Thanks so much

Hi, and welcome! I guess because it’s so hot here in TX most of the year, there aren’t as many knitters as you find in northern states. :slight_smile:

Check your pattern- it might have directions or some sort of notes on short rows somewhere. However, there’s a great video on it here on this site. Go here and scroll down to “short row with wraps”. There are other short row techniques, including one that uses yarn overs (yo) instead of wraps- you can probably google or check youtube for videos on that method. If you check the link on this site, it will at least give you an understanding of the point of short rows, even if it’s not the technique called for in your pattern.

“Drop yo” probably means just that- drop the yarn over off your needle without knitting it. Sounds like you’re doing ‘drop stitches’.

Hope this helps. Post again if you need more help! :slight_smile:

Thank you so much Abbily. I watched the video and it makes perfect sense. The only note I found listed in the pattern about short rows is…

Note: The simple short rows after Rows 4 and 5 will help the length of the borders be the same as the afghan.

Now that I have seen the video it makes is falling into place.

I agree about Texas and it being hotter most of the year. After all it is November and this week it has been in the 70’s here. I am native Texan and feel in love with knitting many years ago, I just try smaller, lighter projects during the hotter times of the year.

I travel sometimes for business and always stop often at knitting shops a long the way. I was thrilled while in Memphis last week I could visit 3 yarn shops within 20 minutes of each other.

Thank you again for your help, I am so glad I found this forum.

I’m a native Austinite- it’s been in the low 80’s here this week. :slight_smile: We have a few great yarn stores here- check them out if you make it to Austin. Glad I could help with the pattern! :slight_smile:

I am new to the forum and new to knitting. I just successfully finished my first scarf and decided to try my hand at something a little more challenging. I picked up a book of patterns for afghans and throws and, it seems, chose the same pattern you were questioning. It also seems as though I am stumped at the same place you wer “Next row: Work short row over border sts only; K5; turn, K5”. I followed the replies you received and checked out the video. Unfortunately, my inexperience is such that I’m still confused. I don’t think I’m wrapping so I’m not sure how to start this row before knitting the 5 and turning. I think I understand the turning part but that won’t help unless I figure out the “work short row” part. I would appreciate any guidance you can provide.

You may not need to wrapt the sts, just knit 5, turn the work and knit back over the same 5 sts. Doing that IS working the short row.

Thank you. That sounds almost to simple but does make sense. I was getting a little intimadated by the wrap especially since this pattern is supposed to be easy and the wrap stitch seems a little more advanced for someone on their second piece. I’m sure I’ll get there but for now I was feeling like I bit off more than I could chew. Thanks again.

Tammy

If the pattern doesn’t mention it, or doesn’t say `wrap and turn’ you don’t need to do it. Short rows in garter stitch often don’t need it, while stockinette stitch might.