Pattern switched

I’m in the process of doing my first dishtowel (first project). Everything was going along fine. I’m doing a knit 3, purl 1 and then the next row, all knit and so forth. The pattern switched now from one side to the other - what did I do?

Did you put it down at some point and then come back to it? Perhaps you were mistaken about whether you were on the k3p1 side or the all k side, and accidentally did the opposite? That would be my guess.

I’m sure that’s what happened. Learn to ‘read’ your knitting. As you knit, notice what the knit looks like and what the purls look like (the back of a knit is a purl and vice-versa). This will help you when you pick up a project after putting it down. You’ll know something’s wrong with the first stitch.

That’s my problem, I can’t tell the difference between a purl stitch and a knit stitch when done - I’ll have to look and see if I can see the difference.

Where’s Jan with her handy picture…?

The sts that look like Vs are knit sts, the ones that look like bumps are purls and each of them should be in their own columns.

This happened to me an my wife before we understood what right side and wrong side really meant. Our patterns switched when we changed color on the wrong side. It was a baby blanket for me though. Someone showed me what right side and wrong side was but i still didnt understand. So after about 2 inches i would just put a stichmarker on the right side. So after i would set it down and pick it up a few hours later, i would know excactly which row i was on so i wouldnt have this happen. Hope this helps…it may not even what happened, just my 2 cents.
Steve

I would love to see a picture. The pattern that I’m doing now, I really try to end on the knit, purl and when I pick it up again, I’ll be starting on the knit only row. But I think I may have started on a knit, purl - that’s the only explanation. I’m going to leave it since it’s just a dishtowel and it looks kind of cool the way it changed but I wouldn’t want to do that on a sweater!

Sometimes you can get away with calling mistakes `design changes’.