Pattern reading problem

Hello, I was wondering if someone could help me please?
I taught myself to knit two years ago (very basic!!) from YouTube and still struggle to read patterns! It’s probably really simple but I’m doing a cardigan for 0-6months in sirdar snuggly dk 4440
I’m on the right front and stuck! I cannot understand the pattern as if I decrease as much then I will not be left with 16 stitches?

I have 23stitches remaining on my needle and then the pattern says…
For all 6 sizes
Next row: k3, p1, k2, s1, k1, psso, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. 23sts
Next row: purl to the last 5 sts, k1, p4. These 2 rows set neck and raglan shapings
Work 10 rows dec 1st at neck edge as before in 3rd and every foll 4th row AT SAME TIME dec 1st at raglan edge as before in next and every foll alt row. 16sts

This is probably something so simple!! So I apologise if I’m asking an obvious question!
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Have you already worked these two rows once? The pattern assumes that you started with 25sts, then worked these two rows and ended with 23sts.
“Next row: k3, p1, k2, s1, k1, psso, knit to last 3 sts, k2tog, k1. 23sts
Next row: purl to the last 5 sts, k1, p4. These 2 rows set neck and raglan shapings”

On the next 10 rows, dec at the neck edge on rows 3 and 7.
Dec on the raglan edge on rows 1,3,5,7,9.
That’ll be a total of 7 decreases and take you from 23 to 16sts.

Thank you for replying! :slight_smile: there is just one more thing I am confused about on row 3 and 7 I am already k2tog…so I will end up with less than 6 stitches surely? Is the pattern telling me to continue the 10rows using the pattern I used to shape the neck and raglan?..this is so confusing :(and also do I just k2tog at the raglan or neck edge to decrease?
Why are knitting patterns so hard!
Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it, I’ve never had help with knitting before! It’s brilliant being able to ask!
Thank you

*****16!! Not 6 stitches!!

You start with 23 sts after the dec of 2sts on the row that’s called “next row”. Then you dec one st on row 1, 2sts on row 3, one st on row 5, 2sts on row 7 and one st on row 9. That’s a total of 7sts decreased so you’d go from 23sts to 16sts.
Rows 3 and 7 are the only rows which decrease 2sts. There’s a psso and a k2tog, that’s all for each of those two rows.

Thank you so much :slight_smile: