Pattern reading help: counting rows?

Hi all, I am reasonably new to knitting and have been working on a cardigan. I’ve just finished working the back panel with no issues, and have been decoding the pattern for the left front. I understand it all up to this point:

Cont as set until 60 rows less have been worked than on back to shoulder cast-off, ending with RS facing for next row.

My guess is that I continue with the pattern set until it’s 60 rows shorter than the back panel. However, the back was worked to a specific length, not a number of rows, so how do I work out how many rows I worked for it? Or have I completely misunderstood the instructions?

Apologies if this is a daft question but I have trawled various forums for help and haven’t yet found a solution! Thank you

Welocme to KH!
What is the name of the pattern you’re following?
Count down 60 rows on the back piece and place a marker. You can place the left front over the back piece and knit until the left front reaches the marker. Alternatively you can convert the row number (60) to inches or cm using the pattern row gauge.

Hi, thank you for the reply! I can’t remember the name unfortunately, and I only have a photograph of the pattern at the moment as I am staying with family for Christmas, but it’s from the Rowan chunky knits pattern book.

This is really helpful - I wouldn’t have thought to convert the row number to cm but will give that a go. It’s also useful to know that I haven’t misinterpreted it!

This is typical garment construction, if you sew. If this is a pull on sweater, tee shirt, or sweat shirt, the neck in front is a little lower than the back to allow you room to pull it over your head. I hate having to count a lot of rows. I cheat and place a marker every ten rows so I don’t have to keep recounting. I like the small plastic ones that look like safety pins. But if you don’t have any, you can use metal safety pins, paper clips, or Bobby pins. Bobby pins are great for cable needles. I have also used one or more of them in place of stitch holders like for mitten thumbs. They don’t get in your way.
Hmm…that would be better than waste yarn for holding stitches for glove fingers. I’m not very good at those, but maybe I will give it another try!