Pattern reading assistance please!

Hey all! This is my first post on knittinghelp. I searched through, but didn’t find anything that really answered my question.

I’m knitting a tank (the ruffle trim tank from the spring / summer 2010 knitsimple) and have come to a standstill.

Here’s the part where I’m stuck:

Row 1: K10, p64, k10
Row 2: Knit
Row 3: Rep row 1
Row 4: Bind off 6 sts firmly, work to end

I’m clear on what all these directions mean, and I know that “work to end” means continue on with the pattern, but which row pattern am I supposed to “work to end”? And do I do the same on the following 9 rows?

Thanks all!

What do the next few rows ask you to do?

Just do exactly what it says. Rows 1 and 2 are the same, so you do Row 4 the same as row 2, just binding off the first 6 sts. What you do on the next 9 rows depends on what the pattern says to do.

Row 1: K10, p64, k10
Row 2: Knit
Row 3: Rep row 1
Row 4: Bind off 6 sts firmly, work to end.

It doesn’t say clearly that you repeat row 2 for row 4, but that is probably what you do. What you have going here is 10 sts of garter stitch on each end with stockinette in the middle. If row 4 repeated row 2 that would keep that going. Does the picture look like that is what is happening? As for what you do next we’d need to see what it says.

Thanks for your replies so far!

Unfortunately, there’s no picture. I could probably muddle through the directions if there was, but no such luck.

Here are the next few rows:

Row 5: Bind off 6 sts firmly, k2, work to last 3 sts, k3
Row 6: K2, SKP, work to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2
Row 7: K3, work to last 3 sts, k3
Rep rows 6 and 7 four more times
Next row: work even
Next row: K3, work to last 3 sts, k3

So, if I follow everyone’s logic, every odd row I would knit / purl “work to end” and every even row I would knit “work to end”?

Yep that’s right. The even rows are all knit, the odd rows have garter edging and purl the center stitches.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Me again!

Same pattern, new sticking point. I haven’t been able to find any videos that show this.

The pattern now says to:

K2, k1, p1, k1, k2 rep 1

Am I knitting 3, purling one, and then knitting 3 again?

Not quite, it would be k3, p1 k6, p1, k3.

All right! So why doesn’t the pattern just say k3, p1, k3, rep?

It’s possible they want you to realize that the k2 on the ends are for the border. Though I wonder if you put the * in the right place…

I doublechecked, and that’s right. Here’s the entire row:

K2, k1, p1, k1, k2, k39, rep between *'s once

This is starting the straps for the tank top, so your thought about it being the border might be spot on.