Pattern Question

:shrug: I’m trying to plot out a new pattern and I’ve gotten to a point where it reads:
Inc 1 st at each end of next row and every foll 12th row, taking inc sts into rib pattern, until there are 38 sts.
I know how to increase 1 at each end and I know which rows to inc, but I’m lost at “taking inc sts into rib pattern”. Does this mean that I’m supposed to be knitting in a rib pattern or what.
I’m knitting the “Hug” shrug by Jennifer Thurston from Magknits.com. It looks so cool, but I haven’t knitted in a few years. I’ve always had a difficult time reading patterns. Did I miss a special class or something?
:help:

They just mean that once the increases are one, you knit them in the established rib pattern on the next row. So if you’re doing a k2, p2 rib, and you’ve increases one at each end, on the next row you’d k1, p2, k2, p1; when you turn you’d p1, k2, p2, k1. Each time you widen, you add the next appropriate stitch in the rib pattern.

OK, that’s going to be helpful, but I’m using a yarn that has nubs and I have no way to read which sts are knits and which are purls. Knitting is easier if I can read the sts. I think I’ll start over in a basic yarn and break into the nubby stuff later on. xxx
Thank You!

Sounds like a good plan. There’s no point in making a stitch pattern if you’re not even going to be able to see it.