Pattern question

Im knitting a mini hat ornament and the pattern says knit like your kitting in in the round and purl back and forth. I just finished the purl row …now do I join to the first knit stitch? Im sure I’m over thinking this…LOL

Rows 2 and 4: Knit if knitting in the round, purl if knitting back and forth
Row 3: Rep Row 1 - 7 sts
Row 5: (K2tog) 3 times, end k1 - 4 sts

Apparently the pattern gives you options for knitting flat or in the round? If so then row 2 means if you’re knitting in the round knit. If you’re knitting flat purl back. So if you’re going to knit flat you’d always purl the back. If knitting in the round no purling.

Can you tell us the name of the pattern and give a link if possible? Don’t post the whole pattern here even if it’s free.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/holminihats.htm

Im on circular needles, but i have been just knitting flat…

Okay, you just have to purl the back to do it flat. Then you’ll have to seam it when you’re done.

If you want to join you can just make sure the knit side is the outside and purls are inside.

Anything else you need help with? It’s a cute little hat. :slight_smile:

So its flat now, i should connect it? Its small so that would be hard on my double points…i would have to try to. Split it down the middle? Not sure how to do that. If not, keep knitting it flat?

If i knit it in a round on double points how would i do knit and purl on inside?

You can do it either way no both ways. Since you already purled I’d say continue flat and then seam it when you’re done. You’ll do your decreases on the knit side.

If you want to knit in the round you never need to purl (except for that little part that is ribbed on band.) Once you join you are knitting only on the outside of the hat. You’ll do your decreases there as well.

2 Likes