Pattern Question - help?

Hi there!! This is my very first post and I’m hoping someone will be able to help me…I need a lot of help! It’s a Rowan pattern - Elly (free on line) and I just don’t understand the following (it’s the left front of a baby bolero jacket).

Beg with k row, cont in st st as follows:
Work 1 row.
Inc 1 st at beg of next row and at same edge on foll 8 rows, (okay I understand that) but not the following: then on 2 foll 3rd rows and at same time shaping side seam by inc 1 st at beg of 8th and foll 6th row.

I’m used to counting rows but this just doesn’t make sense to me!!

Thanks so much,
Karen

If you draw it, it’ll make more sense. This is one place where it’s hard to beat old-fashioned graph paper.

When you finish the first row that you just knit:
Increase at the center front for eight rows, then on the eleventh and fourteenth rows (I think–check my math.) That’s going to make a slanted edge that starts out steep and becomes more gradual.

The other edge, where the side seam will be, needs increases too, but not quite in the same spot, so you only add a stitch at the beginning of the 8th row and the 14th. The taper on that side will be very small and gradual.

just to double check, the directions say to increase at the beginning, not the center front. so doesn’t row 8 get one at the beginning and one at the end?

ETA and row 14 gets it at the end - the side seam, not the center seam?

Hopefully this will take you to the PDF. http://www.knitrowan.com/files/patterns/Elly.pdf
Pattern page with d/l link if the PDF doesn’t open for you. http://www.knitrowan.com/designs-and-patterns/patterns/elly

LEFT FRONT
Using 4mm (US 6) needles cast on 12 [15: 18: 21] sts.
Beg with a K row, cont in st st as folls:
Work 1 row.
Inc 1 st at beg of next row and at same edge on foll 8 rows, then on 2 foll 3rd rows and at same time shaping side seam by inc 1 st at beg of 4th [8th: 8th: 12th] and foll 6th [-: -: -] row. 25 [27: 30: 33] sts. Inc 1 st at side seam edge of – [next: next: 9th] row. 25 [28:31: 34] sts.
Cont straight until left front matches back to beg of raglan

The beginning is the center front. The curved edge is the one with 9 increase rows one after the other to create the curve at the center. I can’t count the rest, my brain is cooked and it’s just now cooling off in here.

ETA Ravelry link. http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/elly

thanks, not that i’m making it, but the clarification is helpful. :slight_smile:

I didn’t get it at all until I ran down the pattern. Now I’ve saved it and might make it someday.

Thank you so much for responding…starting to make sense to me!!

It’s starting to make sense…just a little slow with this pattern phrasing!
Thank you so much!!!

Are you fairly new to knitting patterns? They do get easier to interpret when you have a few under your belt. If you have more questions be sure to ask. We’d also love to see pictures of your knitting if you would like to share them.

Hi there!
Thanks so much for your help. I was trying to respond but was unsure…as this is my first post. Once I’m done this little bolero
I will try to post a pic!!