Pattern problems - winding yarn, loops and other challenges

Hello,

I’ve just started a pattern and am struggling to create the pattern on the edge of this jumper: https://www.yarnstories.com/patterns/trista . Instead of the lovely horizontal loopy things in the coloured part at the bottom, I’m getting something more akin to a net.

The instructions I’m struggling with are:

Row 3: K1, *knit into next st winding yarn twice round needle, rep from * to last st, k1.
Row 4: K1 *slip next 3 sts to right needle dropping extra loops, pass these 3 sts back onto left needle then (k1, p1, k1) through these 3 sts worked tog, rep from * to last st, k1.

Having slipped the stitches, dropped the loops and then moved them back to the left needle I am struggling to understand: “then (k1, p1, k1) through these 3 sts worked tog”, in particularly the ‘through these 3 stitches worked together’.

Having dropped the loops I then have three stitches which I knit, pearl and knit individually. The three stitches are long and look more like a net

I’d be grateful for any help in where I’ve gone wrong.

Many thanks,

Emma

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
There are 2 things going on. You’re going to work the 3sts together like a k2tog (except it’s k3tog) and as you do that, you’ll work the (k1p1k1) all into the stitch.
Here’s a video for working the 3sts into one stitch.

In your case, rather than work into one stitch, you’ll work into the 3sts together. Effectively, you are knitting 3 together (a decrease of 2sts) and making 3sts (an increase of 2sts).

Thank you so much!

That makes perfect sense…and it worked. I just couldn’t ‘see’ what was meant.

I’m so glad to have found this site - and your help.

Many thanks, Emma