pattern not adding up??

Hi everyone, I’m a fledgling knitter and I really want to do this vine dishcloth: http://smariek.blogspot.com/2006/10/vine-lace-cloth.html

It’s definitely the most ambitious pattern I’ve ever tried!

Problem is, when I try the second row I keep ending up 4 stitches short. Am I interpreting the pattern wrong?? With every single step written out, here is how I interpreted it:

k1, p1, k1, p1, k1, k3, yo, k1, yo, k1, ssk, k3, k2tog, k2, k3, yo, k1, yo, k1, ssk, k3, k2tog, k2, p1, k1, p1, k1

The weird thing is that even 4 stitches short I still end up with the amount of stitches I had at the beginning (37), so I am really confused. I know I’m doing yo and ssk right because when I did them in the same row on a practice run, they canceled each other out (I ended up with my original number of stitches).

I’d really appreciate any help! Thank you!

1 Like

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
The row you’ve written out is correct. I wonder if you’re doing the yarn over correctly? A yarn over won’t use a stitch. You just bring the yarn to the front between the needles then over the right needle to the back.

Thanks!! A yarn over is supposed to be an increase, right? And I do get an extra stitch after I do a yarn over. this is the video tutorial I used (but I just knitted with a single stitch, not a k2tog like the video):

Yes, a YO is an increase that also creates an eyelet. If you YO k2tog then it creates the eyelet without the increase.

You should have 37 stitches (original count) at the end of that row because you have 4 YO and four decreases. If you are ending up with 33 stitches then I suspect you are doing something incorrectly with your decreases since YO is pretty straight forward. At the top of the page in this forum there are videos. Go to the ones for decreases and see if you are doing them correctly.

thanks… like I said I still end up with 37 stitches. What I meant is that while I have 37 stitches, I end 4 stitches before the row is supposed to be done (I end at the beginning of the b4 part). is a yarn over just the act of bringing the yarn around to the front? That may be where I am going wrong.

To do a YO you bring the working yarn forward between the needles and then back over the top of the right needle. Then you do the next stitch.

Do you have the 37 and still have the border to do so you’d end up with 41 total? If you end up with 37 at the end after the border I’m not sure I see the problem. Let me go test this with yarn and needles and I’ll BRB.

1 Like

It came out right for me. So this is what you need to do -

B4- k1 k3, yo, k1, yo, k1, ssk, k3, k2tog, k2 repeat once between ** then B4

There are 29 stitches between the borders. You need to do the section I have between the asterisks twice then do the border. It does work out. Try again and see what you get.

1 Like

Thanks so much everybody, I figured out that I was making the yarn over more complicated than it was- I was interpreting it as involving doing the next stitch as well as just bringing the yarn forward. Thanks for actually testing it out for me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome! Glad you figured it out. It’s usually something simple.

Sometimes I find that’s the easiest way to help. Of course if you’re knitting a sweater I probably won’t do that… :grin:

1 Like