Pattern nightmares

I am working on the cocoon cape from lion brand yarn.
The pattern is supposed to create this awesome cocoon cape, but it is not an easily understood pattern. I am just about to rejoin the sleeves which have a ribbed stitch, and the directions say:
Joining Row (RS): With size 15 (10 mm) circular needle, work in Texture pattern over right front sts from holder to the 4 trim sts. Sl 4 trim sts of right front and right back to separate double pointed needles. Hold right front trim sts in front of back trim sts, with sts matching, *(k next right front trim st tog with next right back trim st) twice, bind off 1 st; rep from * until all 4 sts of both sets of trim are bound off, work in Texture pattern over back sts to next 4 trim sts.
Sl 4 trim sts of left back and left front to separate double pointed needles. Hold left front trim sts in front of left back trim sts, **(k next left front trim st tog with next left back trim st) twice, bind off 1 st; rep from ** until all 4 sts of both sets of trim are bound off, work in Texture pattern across rem left front sts – 133 (139, 145) sts.

I have tried to join the trim stitches together multiple times, and every time it looks wrong. Can anyone clarify for me?

Pattern is at: http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/L32268.html

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
It’s a great looking coat.
Have you done 3 needle bind off before? It should be very similar.

Instead of aligning the two sets of sts (right front and back trim sts) you’ll have the right front on the right hand needle and the back sts on the left hand needle (or a holder). The trim sts will be on separate dpns and overlapping. Proceed with 3 needle bind off on the sts on the dpns.
Is there something in particular that you don’t like about the look of the bind off or is it just working the technique?

Definitely the technique. I am a very visual person, and if I am unfamiliar with the technique in a pattern, and the directions are too vague, I am left to guess and try to figure it out on my own… In this case, I have had to pick apart my work three times.

OK, see if the idea of the three needle bind off works for you. There are also other videos for it if you do a Google search. If it still doesn’t work, come back here and we’ll see what the knitter’s collective experience is.