Pattern "Math" (No. of Stitches) Doesn't Add Up--N

I’m working on a dishcloth pattern from the book Color Splash Dishcloths (published by Leisure Arts), No. 6 pattern, and it says to Cast On 37 stitches. The first 2 rows say Knit Across. OK, fine I can do that! Then Row 3 says this:

K1, SSK, YO, K1, YO, K2tog (repeat to last st), K1

Row 4 is Knit Across, then Row 5 says:

K1, SSK, YO, K31, YO, K2tog, K1

OK, if there are 37 stitches, I end up with 2 left over on Row 3. Then on Row 5, I don’t have enough. Wouldn’t you need 39 stitches to get these to work? For example, Row 4 has K31, this leaves 6 stitches, presumably 3 on each side of the K31. If you K1, this is in Stitch 1 from the row before. Then SSK would be Stitches 2 & 3 together, which would be Stitch 2 on the new row. Then YO would be stitch 4 from the old row, and would be 3 and 4 on the new (since it created a new stitch to make up for what I lost doing the SSK).

Then past the K31, the YO would be one stitch from the old row creating 2 new ones. Then the K2tog would be 2 stitches from the old creating one stitch. Finally the K1 would be Stitch 37 from the old row and same on the new.

Wouldn’t you need 4 stitches on each side of the K31, for a total of 39 stitches? 39 stitches also made Row 3 work out evenly. Are there sometimes mistakes on these patterns? Or am I missing something since I’m just learning SSK and K2tog? Help!!

[i] K1, SSK, YO, K1, YO, K2tog (repeat to last st), K1

Row 4 is Knit Across, then Row 5 says:

K1, SSK, YO, K31, YO, K2tog, K1 [/i]

Okay, we’ll start with row 3.
K1 (uses 1 stitch)
SSK (uses 2 stitches)
YO (is a new stitch, does not use any of the previous stitches)
K1 (uses 1 stitch)
YO, K2tog (yo is a new stitch, K2tog uses 2 stitches); rep to last stitch
K1 (uses 1 stitch)

So, not including what in between the , on this row we have 5 stitches used which leaves 32 stitches to be used between the . Each K2tog uses 2 stitches so therefore you will have 16 repeats of what’s in the and you should have the exact right number of stitches.

Now row 5.
K1 (uses 1 stitch)
SSK (uses 2 stitches)
YO (new stitch, does not use any of the previous stitches)
K31 (uses 31 stitches)
YO (new stitch)
K2tog (uses 2 stitches)
K1 (uses 1 stitch)

Total of 37 stitches.

I suspect by the way you described the YO in your post that that might be where your problem is coming from. Making a YO does not involve any of your current stitches, you just bring your working yarn to the front between the needles, and then return it to the back over the right needle. It makes a loop over your right needle and then you just continue on with the next part of your instructions.

You might want to take a look at some of the videos on this page:
http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/abbreviations_explained/

It includes the K2tog, SSK, yo, and many many other abbreviations.

That’s where my problem is. I’m using a previous stitch for YO. I thought I was doing it correctly, but evidently I need to revisit this. Thanks for taking the time to slog through my long, technical post and advise me on this–this board is awesome!!!