Pattern Making No Sense--Please Help!

I’m hoping to make project 6 (cozy cashmere hat) from Jeanette Trotman’s “Easy Knitted Accessories” book, but as soon as row 4 I’m totally confused. The instruction is:

(P9, k1, p4, k1, p9) 4 times

That would be working 96 stitches. The problem is that as of row 3 I’m only supposed to have 48 stitches. I was going to write it off as a typo, but the 4 times with only half the number of stitches thing makes 7 more appearences in twelve rows, and on most of the others I have m1’s where I need to do the pattern 4 times to have the correct number of stitches at the end of the row.

What am I supposed to do? Do I just do the second half as though it were another row and just not mark it in my notes as another row? Or is this something else entirely? Has anyone done this project before?

Thank you for any help!

~Kate~

That does require 96 stitches :?? . Could you post a bit more of the pattern?? The preceding and following rows, perhaps. Maybe there’s something you’re missing :shrug:

I’ll do the first 12 rows.

Cast on 52 sts.
Row 1 (rs): (K1, p1) to end
Row 2: (P11, k1, p2, k1, p11) twice
Row 3: (K9, p1, k2tog, k2, k2tog tbl, p1, k9) twice (48 sts).
Row 4: (P9, k1, p4, k1, p9) 4 times
Row 5: (K8, p1, k2tog, k2, k2tog tbl, p1, k8 ) twice (44 sts).
Row 6: (P8, k1, p4, k1, p8 ) 4 times
Row 7: (K8, p1, k4, p1, k8 ) twice
Row 8: (P8, k1, p4, k1, p8 ) twice
Row 9: (K9, m1, k4, m1, k9) twice (48 sts).
Row 10: (P9, k1, p4, k1, p9) twice
Row 11: (K2, m1, k8, m1, k2) 4 times (56 sts).
Row 12: (P2, k1, p8, k1, p2) 4 times

That’s most of the problem area. If I can figure out this bit the rest should be a snap!

i think it is supposed to be two times on both of those lines instead of four times.

For the numbers to add up, the rows that specify to repeat 4 times should only be repeated 2 times. That’s all I can think of. Is there any way you could contact the designer??

Thanks guys. Now that I look at it it looks like rows 4 and 6 are suppose to be 2 times and the other ones are correct. Thanks again for the input.

I’ll be sure to let you know how it goes! :thumbsup: