Pattern intepretation for newbie

I’m a VERY new knitter and am having trouble understanding the following decreasing lines in a “head hugger” pattern:

“k2tog, *8k, k2tog, repeat from * to end purl row
k2tog, *7k, k2tog, repeat from * to end purl row
k2tog, * 6k, k2tog repeat from * to end purl row”

I don’t understand the “to end purl row” part. The body of the cap is stockinette, and I ended that part with a purl row. Do I need to knit one across and then start the decrease on a purl row, knit another row across and then do the next decrease on the next purl row? Am I missing it altogether?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer me!

I’m pretty new as well, so don’t trust me on this, but the way it looks to me is that all decreasing is done on knit rows, not purl rows. I’ve never had to decrease on a purl row before … I think rather than “to end purl row”, the author meant to say “repeat from * to end, and THEN do a purl row”.

So you knit a decrease row (k2tog, *k8, k2tog, repeat from * to end) and then do a purl row. I hope that’s what you were asking!

I agree…they should have put “purl row” on a separate line or something. Or, is there a PERIOD (.) shortage going on that I haven’t heard about??? :rollseyes: OOH! Look how WASTEFUL I am!!

Yeah, purl row should be separated. Here, I have extras. . . . . . …

Thank you all so much! I’ve already ripped this puppy up once and wanted to get that part straight before I screwed up again. What you’ve said (about working the decrease on the knit row) makes a ton of sense, unlike the written pattern :slight_smile:

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!