Pattern Instruction

I am knitting a sweater top down. I have markers separating front,left sleeve back,right sleeve,front.
The left sleeve instruction reads as follows knit to first marker. With shorter circ needles work across left sleeve sts. Cast on 5 sts,pm for beginning of rnd, cast on 4 more sts,join in round. This I understand perfectly.

Now right sleeve says rejoin yarn at left armhole. Pick up 9 sts from underarm cast on edge Knit across back sts. With circ needle work across right sleeve sts. Join sleeve sts in round same as left sleeve. Work as for left.

Where do I pick up the 9sts from? If I pick up stitches at underarm of left sleeve that doesn’t make sense for right sleeve.
Am I reading something wrong.

Then it says Lower body. Rejoin yarn at right underarm. Work right underarm same as left and knit to end of row.
I do not understand this part either.

It does seem confusing. What is the pattern name? Can you give us a link to it?

Hi @susieq29! Do you have a link for the pattern? That always helps us help you.

It is a webs pattern. I paid for it. Can’t see pattern on internet. I contacted designer.

Great looking hoodie.

OK, contacting the designer is good idea and you did pay for this pattern. In the meantime, maybe we can make some sense of it here. We’ve all done quite a few top down sweaters.

What if you make the above change? That at least has you picking up sts for the right sleeve at the right underarm.

I got answer from designer that still does not make sense. There are no stitches to pick up. There is only stitches on needle for right sleeve. She also didn’t explain lower body instructions.

Is it possible that there was an earlier instruction to cast on sts for the right armhole and now you are just knitting across those sts?
I would recommend going back to the designer and asking again about the right armhole since it’s still not clear.

Just got answer. Here it is.

At the beginning of the Left Sleeve, for some sizes, you cast on 9 sts at
the underarm.

When the Left Sleeve is complete, you cut the yarn and then return to the
yoke sts that remain on your circular needles.

First, you’ll pick up and knit 9 sts from the cast on edge at the left
underarm - the bottom of those 9 sts you cast on at the beginning of the
left sleeve. Then you’ll knit across the back stitches until you reach the
right sleeve. You’ll cast on 9 sts at the right underarm and knit the right
sleeve.

When the right sleeve is complete, you’ll cut the yarn and rejoin it at the
right underarm. You’ll pick up 9 sts from the bottom of those 9 cast on
stitches at the underarm, then knit to the end of the yoke row.

I hope this helps describe the general structure of the pattern, but if you
have any further questions, please feel free to write.

Kirsten Hipsky
Design Manager
WEBS, America’s Yarn Store
http://www.yarn.com

Show quoted text

Thanks for trying to help me.

Just got answer Here it is. Thanks for trying to help me.

At the beginning of the Left Sleeve, for some sizes, you cast on 9 sts at
the underarm.

When the Left Sleeve is complete, you cut the yarn and then return to the
yoke sts that remain on your circular needles.

First, you’ll pick up and knit 9 sts from the cast on edge at the left
underarm - the bottom of those 9 sts you cast on at the beginning of the
left sleeve. Then you’ll knit across the back stitches until you reach the
right sleeve. You’ll cast on 9 sts at the right underarm and knit the right
sleeve.

When the right sleeve is complete, you’ll cut the yarn and rejoin it at the
right underarm. You’ll pick up 9 sts from the bottom of those 9 cast on
stitches at the underarm, then knit to the end of the yoke row.

I hope this helps describe the general structure of the pattern, but if you
have any further questions, please feel free to write.

Kirsten Hipsky
Design Manager

Show quoted text

Here is the answer. Thanks for your help.

At the beginning of the Left Sleeve, for some sizes, you cast on 9 sts at the underarm.

When the Left Sleeve is complete, you cut the yarn and then return to the yoke sts that remain on your circular needles.

First, you’ll pick up and knit 9 sts from the cast on edge at the left underarm - the bottom of those 9 sts you cast on at the beginning of the left sleeve. Then you’ll knit across the back stitches until you reach the right sleeve. You’ll cast on 9 sts at the right underarm and knit the right sleeve.

When the right sleeve is complete, you’ll cut the yarn and rejoin it at the right underarm. You’ll pick up 9 sts from the bottom of those 9 cast on stitches at the underarm, then knit to the end of the yoke row.

I hope this helps describe the general structure of the pattern, but if you have any further questions, please feel free to write.

Kirsten Hipsky
Design Manager
Show quoted text

Ah, I see. The cast on sts (the cast on 5sts, pm, cast on 4sts) at the left sleeve are in order to begin knitting the sleeve itself. After you finish the left sleeve, begin at the left underarm and pick up 9 body sts. You want to pick up these sts from the base of the left sleeve. They will allow the body to cross the gap created by the extra sts cast on for the sleeve.
Does that make sense? If not, I can draw it out and post.
Have you knit the left sleeve already?

No I have not started knitting sleeves. I think I understand. I then will
cast on 9 (5 and 4) stitches on the right sleeve as I did for left to start
sleeve right? Then go back and do 9 underarm stitches.

Yes, that’s it exactly! When you get to the right sleeve you just cast on 9sts (you don’t need a marker so there’s no reason to split sts up 4 and 5) unless you want the marker.

Thanks