Pattern help?

I am attempting to do this pattern.

http://library.ravelry.com/tsmith/333912/Knitted_Pickaxe.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJNNSUP6J3RN4WZYQ&Expires=1422594440&Signature=Ygg4pml9QpzvdO8BJgYL%2BRn9EE8%3D

I have scrutinized it over and over again, and I am just really confused. The whole pick edge section is so confusing. I can do up until repeat from row 1, but when I need to bind off 6 stitches, then cast on 12 and start row 9 I am totally lost. It doesn’t say what colour to cast on, and doesn’t say what colour to use in some spots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

seems to be an error in the link… shows up with:

“This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below.
<Error>
<Code>AccessDenied</Code>
<Message>Request has expired</Message>
<Expires>2015-01-30T05:07:20Z</Expires>
<ServerTime>2015-01-30T08:22:40Z</ServerTime>
<RequestId>F0275BC66ABE781E</RequestId>
<HostId>
Zr0R60YSsjq4wBvDJaDdWI9VyB3tn3N/MxvgUULx01wIYoOs6rYT+6HNvTgbGE6S
</HostId>
</Error>”

is there a direct link to the ravelry page, instead of via your ravelry library? thanks :wink:

Try this link.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/minecraft-pickaxe

that worked. thanks :slight_smile:

“Pick Edge:
Cast on 20 stitches in Teal (MC).
Row 1: S1, P5, K1, P6, K1, P6
Row 2: S1, K5, P1, K6, P1, K6
Repeat from Row 1 – three more times.
Bind off 6 stitches. Cast on 12 stitches. (26 st.)
Row 9: S1, P5, K1, P6, ICua (IC) P6, (MC) K1. P6
Bind off 6 stitches. Cast on 12 stitches. (32 st.)
Row 10: S1, K5, P1, K6, (IC) K6, (MC) K6, P1, K6.
Row 11: S1, P5, K1, P6, (IC) P6, (MC) P6, K1, P6.
Repeat from Row 10 - fourteen more times.(39 rows)
Row 40: S1, K5, P1, K6, (IC) K6, (MC) K6, P1, K6.
Bind off 7 stitches.
Put remaining 25 stitches on a spare needle.”

ok, so you’re at repeat, bind off, cast on 12… that’s still all done in your main color (MC, according to the pattern). there’s been no notation about switching colors, yet. keep doing that row 1, row 2, row 1, row 2, etc, all in your main color until you finish what would be the 8th row.

then you’ll be ready for row 9 in the pattern. you’ll slip 1, purl 5, k1, purl 6…

‘ICUA’ IS A MISPRINT… it only appears the one time, and shouldn’t be there at all.

then switch to your inner color for the pick section (that’s IC). you’ll use that new color to purl 6, then switch back to your main color (MC) to knit 1, then purl 6. you’ll keep switching back and forth between main color (MC) and inner color (IC), all the way through row 40 as directed. finally putting the last 25 stitches on a spare needle, so you’re ready for the “handle” part of the pattern.

depending on what colors you chose, your main color (MC) will be dark grey or teal, and your inner color (IC) will be light grey, white, yellow or aqua. when you get to the handle, the colors are the same regardless, with a main color (MC) of dark brown and an inner color (IC) of light brown. it may help you to write out the directions line-by-line, substituting the color names as needed instead of MC/IC… that gets a lil confusing.

hope that helps, but hollar if you need more :wink:

ok, if you’re starting with the handle instead…

"Handle:
On one needle cast on 13 stitches in (DB) and cast on 13 stitches in (LB).
You will have 26 stitches on the needle. Turn work and begin pattern.
Row 1: (LB) S1, P5, K1, P6, (DB) P6, K1, P6.
Row 2: S1, K5, P1, K6, (LB) K6, P1, K6.
Repeat from Row 1 - three more times.
Row 9: (DB) S1, P5, K1, P6, (LB) P6, (DB) K1, P6.
Row 10: S1, K5, P1, K6, (LB) K6, (DB) K6, P1, K6.
Row 11: S1, P5, K1, P6, (LB) P6, (DB) P6, K1, P6.
Repeat from Row 10 - two more times.
Row 16: S1, K5, P1, K6, (LB) K6, (DB) K6, P1, K6.
Bind off 12 stitches. Cast on 6 stitches. (26 st.)
Row 17: S1, P5, K1, P6, (LB) P6, (DB) K1, P6.
Repeat from Row 10 – six more times.
After the last repeat of row 17, only Cast on 5 stitches. (25 st.) "

do just that. cast on 13 stitches using your cast-on of choice, with the dark brown, then right away on the same needle, cast-on 13 more stitches, but in the dark brown. the bottom edge gets sewn together at the end. starting with row 1, you could think of it almost like intarsia, where you have blocks of color. to make sure there are no gaps, you need to cross the strands but, you’d only need to do that once per row, where the dark and light browns meet. check the knitting help video at http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/play/intarsia-color-knitting for how to do that. around 2:30 it shows continental style first and right after it shows english style. crossing the yarn keeps holes from forming.

Thank you. I can understand what you are saying. Another quick question, need to start using the IC how would I go about adding or working it in to the pattern.

http://verypink.com/2010/03/13/video-changing-colors/ might help you, along with the intarsia video from here i mentioned earlier.

you’re just going to loop the new yarn color your working needle, (tail in back, working yarn looped over top of needle towards you, then back down/behind). cross the old color over it to prevent gaps, and start knitting.

the very pink video shows staci doing it at the beginning of the row, but it works the same at any point in a row or round.