Pattern Help

[COLOR=“Purple”][SIZE=“5”][B][U]BERNAT Baby Jacquards: Jester Hat (size 24m)[/U][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=“4”][B]Shape Top: 1st Row:[/B]
(RS). K1. *M1. K25. M1. K1. (Place Marker on last st).
Rep from * to end of row.

[COLOR=“Purple”]so my question is…
there is no 2nd * so do i do that whole thing (*M1. K25. M1. K1. (Place Marker on last st)) over and over until i get to the end?
[/COLOR]

Also, what do you recommend for a M1 that you wont see a whole. i have looked on increase videos but i am really not sure which one would be best.[/SIZE]

If the pattern gives a stitch count for any of the rows, you can check the numbers but I’d say your reading is correct. Repeat from the *, over and over to the end of the row.
You can do a knit front and back or you can knit into the loop formed by the row below the next st on the left hand needle. Both of these increases work without a hole and the second is almost invisible. Picking up the bar between sts and knitting into the back loop will work too. Have you looked at the videos here for Increases?

Yes, work all the sts after the first * until the end of the row. A m1 where you lift the yarn between 2 sts leaves only a small hole if you knit it so it’s twisted. If you knit tight though, that leaves more of a hole. Same thing with the backward loop m1, but if you keep the yarn somewhat loose it shouldn’t be too big. Most of the ‘holes’ look bigger than you might like when you make them, but after knitting a few more rows they’re not as obvious. Washing or blocking also helps the yarn fill them in… as long as they’re not knit tight to begin with.

THANK YOU BOTH SO MUCH!!! :cheering:

I just pulled this pattern. I’m a fairly new knitter and am trying to make some hats and booties for a photographer friend of mine. From the way I read the pattern for the smallest size, your working with 86 stitches until you get to the shaping rows. I’m not great at calculating stitches that will increase but will these M1s on row 1 and row 3 increase the total number from 86 to 153? If not, then I’m confused how you get from 86 to 153. Thanks!
http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2994

Yes, you repeat the increase row every other row until you get to 153 sts.

The first increase row increases 8sts and row 3 (the second increae row) increases 8sts x 7 repeats total = 64sts increased. 89sts + 64sts = 153sts.

I kept getting 67 sts – she wrote you start with 83 instead of 86 and I couldn’t get the math to work out…

It starts with 86sts in line 1 and inc 3 in line 2. Then I figured 2 inc times 4 on the first row plus 2 inc times 4 repeated 7 times total in rows 2 and 3 (86+3+8+56=153).

I see that now, and even looked at the pattern but the right stitch number didn’t register.

My issue is that after knitting Row 1 of the top shape 3 times… 89 stitches isn’t enough to do the repeated pattern a total of four times. My last repeat is only across 16 stitches.

If we forget the additional stitch on the M1 as to see how man stitches from the previous row are taken up, the stitches between the * marks equals 24. K1 + (24*4) = 97 stitches when there’s only 89 on the needles.

Is it supposed to be uneven, or am I missing an errata I’ve not been able to find?

Here are the directions for the row:
1st row: (RS). K1. *M1. K21 (22-24-25). M1. K1 (place marker on last st). Rep from * to end of row.
So between the asterisks you need k21 and a k1 for 22sts required for the repeat. With the additional k1 at the start and repeating the 22sts x4 thats 89sts.
The problem is likely to be in the kind of M1 that you’re using or just in the way you’re counting it. You can increase [I]between[/I] 2 sts or if you increase with kfb for example, count that as a knit st [I]and[/I] an increase (a k1 and a M1).
So for the kfb, for example you K1 kfb K20 kfb to the end of row.

Ok, Does the marker go before the K1 or after? Because (M1 K21 M1 K1) is 24 stitches from the previous row, not 22. And (M1 K21 M1) is 23.

I am using kfb for my increase (I’ve not tried the in-between increase before), and didnt realize that it counted for a M1 and a K1. In my counting that kfb counted as 1 stitch from the row below. Or does that in-between M1 not use an actual stitch from the row below?

(feeling like such a newbie at the moment).

No a m1 doesn’t use a stitch from the row below, you lift the strand [I]between [/I]the sts and knit into it. The KRL/KLL increases do use the stitch from the row below the one on the needles; you knit into the leg or the purl bump of that stitch. Take a look at the Increases page for some videos that show several of them. There’s also a m1 that is just looping the yarn around the needle like the backward loop cO.

"Ok, Does the marker go before the K1 or after? Because (M1 K21 M1 K1) is 24 stitches from the previous row, not 22. And (M1 K21 M1) is 23. "

Sounds like you want to mark the st itself but if the marker is going to move with each row, it’ll be easier to have the marker before or after. You can decide, just remember which you’ve chosen.

The M1 k21 M1 K1 uses 22sts from the previous row, the k21 and the k1. M1 refers to the additional extra stitch. It doesn’t mean increase one stitch [I]and[/I] use one stitch from the previous row.
(If that were true the instructions would have to say Kfb k19 Kfb k1.)

I love the feeling of being a newbie even if confusion is one part of it.

Ok, now I get it.

And I just got the chance to try it and it worked!!!

This is really the first pattern that I’ve been using where a specific stitch count, repeats, and M1 have all combined, and in prior things I’ve knitted, using kfb for the M1 hadn’t thrown anything off. Now I know better!!!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Great! It’s an adorable hat.